Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy saying hello!

New guy saying hello!

Hey all!,

My name is Alex and I have been lurking for a month or two on the forums, been running through the winter to keep me fit and find road running to be really really boring. Looked up fellrunning on google and found this forum and becuase of the very nice community thought I would join the FRA. The form and cheque went off this morning (I hope I get my magazine!).

I am a cyclist as well as a runner so I already have the masochistic streak of going up hills as fast as I can. On a recumbent thats harder than it looks. Any advice on routes accessible from the shipley area would be appreciated. My most miles in a day so far on the roads is 8 miles.

Thank you and Hello!

Alex

Re: New guy saying hello!

Quote Originally Posted by ALaurie View Post
    Hey all!,

My name is Alex and I have been lurking for a month or two on the forums, been running through the winter to keep me fit and find road running to be really really boring. Looked up fellrunning on google and found this forum and becuase of the very nice community thought I would join the FRA. The form and cheque went off this morning (I hope I get my magazine!).

I am a cyclist as well as a runner so I already have the masochistic streak of going up hills as fast as I can. On a recumbent thats harder than it looks. Any advice on routes accessible from the shipley area would be appreciated. My most miles in a day so far on the roads is 8 miles.

Thank you and Hello!

Alex

Hi Alex welcome to the FRA

Plenty of yocal runners on the forum your way.

Multiterrainer used to live very close to there but just north is Stolly, Merry and DT amongst a cast of 1000's

Quote Originally Posted by ALaurie View Post
    !).

I am a cyclist as well as a runner so I already have the masochistic streak of going up hills as fast as I can. On a recumbent thats harder than it looks.
    Don't see many of those around.

I think most of the runners on here are cyclists as well as so probably have an idea how hard recumbents are up hill - I bet there aren't many on here who cycle up hills sitting down!
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Hello Alex.....welcome

Hi alex. I've not ran much down your way unless you count a couple of jaunts up Ilkley Moor or Bingley woods as local to you. I also haven't done much Haworth way but the Keighley and Craven runners and others on here know that neck of the woods back to front.

I have though for my sins pretty much run every hill, peak and ridge line on the OS Yorkshire Dales south and west map so give me a shout if you're looking for routes to try in that area; thats pretty much anywhere in what must be getting on for 400 square miles boxed in by the diagonal line from Bolton Abbey in the east to Ingleton and beyond in the west, then north to Dent and east from there all the way back towards Kettlewell and then Grassington.

Its my personal playground but I dont mind others borrowing it.

Hi Alex, welcome to the Forum mate
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Hi Alex welcome to the FRA

Plenty of yocal runners on the forum your way.

Multiterrainer used to live very close to there but just north is Stolly, Merry and DT amongst a cast of 1000's
    Welcome Alex!!

I'm a few miles down the road/towpath in Rodley and run for Horsforth Fellandale when not injured!! I've ran your local Carr Lane Challenge (Wrose Gala/carnival?) 5 mile multiterrain (obviously for me!!) race a couple of times in the past (bet you have fun going up Carr Lane on the recumbent) - as has fellow forumite Tussockface who is a member of Baildon runners among others - they would be your best local all-round club I'd imagine, with local training options being Baildon Moor - gentle in fell running terms and a good introduction to 'fell-type' terrain - in fact there's a short race tomorrow the Baildon Carnival Canter which is a good little run - details here http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=7891 (Sadly it looks as if I'll miss it this year but I'm sure Tussockface will be there).

Of course beyond Baildon Moor is Rombalds/Ilkley Moor etc and then off into the Dales for your runs in Stolly-land

Hi Alex welcome to the FRA, you don't sound like a beginner.

I think your love the cycle threads.

Super Moderator

Hey up Alex! I think I might have seen your recumbent in the past
    Poacher turned game-keeper