Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Resting HR

Re: Resting HR

Tends to be 40-43 in the mornings (I take it 3 times a week)... as others have said, if I've got a cold starting it goes up above 50 and stays there until the virus passes - a good indicator of being ready to go back to running is when the low reading comes back. I would suggest that rather than looking at the readings themselves, it is more important that they are consistent and changes above 10 bpm are when you should have any concern.
    You'll never Walk Alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    You avin a giraffe.
    The garmins about the size of a brick and the chest monistor is bound to ping off during the night and smack me in my face.
    Nice image!
    You probably don't need to wear the Garmin, just keep it next to you?
    And just wear some nice flannelette PJs to protect yourself from the strap

Quote Originally Posted by Miss K Minola View Post
    Mine has been between 42 and 46 for the past 6 years or so. As much as I'd like it to be it's not a reflection of immense fitness on my part as the whole family has very low resting pulse. However, it's recently almost doubled (79-84) and I have no idea why.
    are you taking the same measurement - i.e., first thing in the morning on waking?

There's a big difference between that and your heart rate in the day even when 'at rest', sat at a desk typing at a computer for instance.

Mine is 45-50 for the former, and probably about 70 for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    are you taking the same measurement - i.e., first thing in the morning on waking?

There's a big difference between that and your heart rate in the day even when 'at rest', sat at a desk typing at a computer for instance.

Mine is 45-50 for the former, and probably about 70 for the latter.
    It's always been upper 40s when taken at the doctors and mid when taken in the morning on waking.

It was 55 last night whilst sat on the sofa online after climbing so all seems to be getting back to normal Which, given that I'm about 3 kilos heavier than before Christmas

Must have just been the chest infection.

Had a medical last week and my RHR was measured at 49bpm. Although this was in middle of the day, so perhaps a bit lower had it been first thing in the morning.

Thought 49 was pretty good until reading back through this thread!

When I had my last fight in 2014 or 2015 we had a pre-fight medical and they said it was the lowest RHR they'd ever seen. Can't for the life of me remember what it was though.... and surprising due to the stress of an imminent punch-up in front of many hundreds of people! I'd be surprised if it was much lower than now... perhaps low 40's.

Can't seem to translate it into more speed though (i'm well aware there's various other factors at play)….. perhaps I train too much, but not hard enough?
    Last edited by Travs; 24-02-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I recorded 42bpm three years ago, while participating in an experiment at the national Centre for Sport and Exercise medicine. I had been lying still on a couch for some time while they were taking other measurements, before they measured heart rate.

Last year my wife collapsed due to an atrio-ventricular block, which was making her heart lapse into a mode where it was beating at half the required rate: about 37/38bpm instead of the normal rate in the mid-70s. While the paramedics were at our house looking after her, my son piped up with the comment that my heart rate was 42bpm. I got a strange look from one of the paramedics, and quickly explained that I was a long-distance runner!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Had a medical last week and my RHR was measured at 49bpm. Although this was in middle of the day, so perhaps a bit lower had it been first thing in the morning.

Thought 49 was pretty good until reading back through this thread!

When I had my last fight in 2014 or 2015 we had a pre-fight medical and they said it was the lowest RHR they'd ever seen. Can't for the life of me remember what it was though.... and surprising due to the stress of an imminent punch-up in front of many hundreds of people! I'd be surprised if it was much lower than now... perhaps low 40's.

Can't seem to translate it into more speed though (i'm well aware there's various other factors at play)….. perhaps I train too much, but not hard enough?
    How much training do u do? Pngy

Average around 40 miles/10,000ft a week. Although living away from the hills and training once a day, means i'll very rarely take a full rest day, only if absolutely needed, perhaps once every 2-3 weeks.... usually rest before a race with a brisk but relaxed 3-4 miles on the flat...

However in a run of consecutive racing weekends like i'm experiencing at the minute, i'll only get one "hard" club session in, and even that might be a struggle to really go hard.

I think I know the solution... race a lot less (my post above should say perhaps I train/race too much), and train harder... can't see it happening though!
    Last edited by Travs; 25-02-2020 at 12:04 PM.

U could miss the hard club session out as after all your training to race, try and do a day of cross training if you don’t want a day off, go for a walk instead of a run or go for a swim or do Pilates or yoga instead.. pngy
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    U could miss the hard club session out as after all your training to race, try and do a day of cross training if you don’t want a day off, go for a walk instead of a run or go for a swim or do Pilates or yoga instead.. pngy
    Yes, similar was discussed with my coach last night re easing off the hard club session.

Obviously as a road runner, his opinion is Fell runners are crazy and race far too often.... perhaps he has a point... but when you’re doing a couple of championships the races come thick and fast, and one week you could be racing 5 miles, the next 25, so it’s often a case of just being as fit as possible and trying to be fresh each race weekend (for me anyway)......

Full results of medical were back today, and cholesterol etc were all very good.... which considering the amount of cheese and pasties I can be prone to shovelling down my gullet, was quite pleasing...