Thread: Descending advice

Descending advice

If I've missed any (or loads) of threads on this then I apologise, but a brief search seemed to not bring up much.

I'm looking for advice on how to descend without effectively winding myself. I've found with quite a lot of descents I start off reasonably swiftly and efficiently, with footwork not proving too much of an issue. However quite often, especially on fairly mild descents, I'll get a short way down and find significant pain and discomfort throughout my core muscles (it feels slightly lower than my diaphragm, but I could be wrong and that may be the issue) and every step jolts them painfully and making taking in breath quite difficult. This pain can often carry onto flat sections, and I'm desperately looking for the next uphill for respite.

Does anyone know what might be the cause, and what training or exercises can help alleviate the issue, or do most people suffer it but just learn to power on through?

Any comments or suggestions welcome, or if anyone needs any clarification about bits.

cheers

Liam

Re: Descending advice

my back used to go (spasms lower/mid back) sometimes, usually on the descent following a tough climb. I found that core work - esp ab exercises and back stretches help to prevent this, although it still occasionally happens. Think this area needs to be as strong as possible to support the back over the hills.
    Also, it sounds basic, but try and "run" descents as smoothly as possible. THe tendency for the beginner is to lean back and leap in jerky movements, no doubt putting more strain on the back. Don't be afraid to lean forward and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsnik View Post
    my back used to go (spasms lower/mid back) sometimes, usually on the descent following a tough climb. I found that core work - esp ab exercises and back stretches help to prevent this, although it still occasionally happens. Think this area needs to be as strong as possible to support the back over the hills.
    Also, it sounds basic, but try and "run" descents as smoothly as possible. THe tendency for the beginner is to lean back and leap in jerky movements, no doubt putting more strain on the back. Don't be afraid to lean forward and go for it.
    my problem with going for it is tired legs - halfway round the two races I've done my legs just didn't feel like they could 'take' leaning forward and going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LiamM View Post
    If I've missed any (or loads) of threads on this then I apologise, but a brief search seemed to not bring up much.

I'm looking for advice on how to descend without effectively winding myself. I've found with quite a lot of descents I start off reasonably swiftly and efficiently, with footwork not proving too much of an issue. However quite often, especially on fairly mild descents, I'll get a short way down and find significant pain and discomfort throughout my core muscles (it feels slightly lower than my diaphragm, but I could be wrong and that may be the issue) and every step jolts them painfully and making taking in breath quite difficult. This pain can often carry onto flat sections, and I'm desperately looking for the next uphill for respite.

Does anyone know what might be the cause, and what training or exercises can help alleviate the issue, or do most people suffer it but just learn to power on through?

Any comments or suggestions welcome, or if anyone needs any clarification about bits.

cheers

Liam
    Sounds like you actually stop breathing/stop breathing properly when you descend... try and relax more, focus on your breathing, don't think, whatever you do, don't think, and just look a few steps ahead of you and run!
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by LiamM View Post
    However quite often, especially on fairly mild descents, I'll get a short way down and find significant pain and discomfort throughout my core muscles (it feels slightly lower than my diaphragm, but I could be wrong and that may be the issue) and every step jolts them painfully and making taking in breath quite difficult. This pain can often carry onto flat sections, and I'm desperately looking for the next uphill for respite.
    I get a similar thing, although it doesn't seem to affect my breathing. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had to overcome lower abdominal pain/discomfort while descending. It doesn't affect me on really steep descents - more so on gentle, flat-out types of descents, such as Bamford fell race a few weeks ago.

Banned

I use to train with Keith Anderson who was one of the best descenders around.
    He tried to teach me on many occasions how to descend at speed.( running behind me pushing me and tied to a cord as he shot off pulling me)
    The " art" is leaning forward, relaxing and very lightly touching the ground with the ball of the foot/toes.

Once on Loughrigg in Ambleside and I said right show me how its done.
    We stood at the top of a very steep descent, Keith said just follow me.
    We set off together him bounding away like a gazelle me trying my hardest to relax, breathe normally and follow.
    All of a sudden he leaped off a cliff, i came to an abrupt halt nearly messing myself.
    Keith had landed,rolled over & back on his feet as if nothing had happened then carried on to the bottom, turning and laughing at me.
    For me a lesson learned...I could run down hill but I was never going to be in the same league as a truly great descender