Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid winter BGR splits

Mid winter BGR splits

I'm doing a mid-winter BGR this year, Dec 18/19 all going well. I'm determined that redundancy and gardening leave have a silver lining...

23:59 will do but i'm actually thinking about tweaking the classic 23.5 hour schedule i used on my summer round to a) get it down to 23 and b) allow longer on the tougher rockier bits and cut the generous ones where winter/darkness is less likely to make a difference (e.g. Calva in 51 mins is always always generous in my experience, having done leg one a dozen times at least).

Does anyone have experience of a winter round and can give advice on what specific bits they found needed adjustment?

THanks

ST

Master

Re: Mid winter BGR splits

Imagine descending Blencathra in ice and snow. Very tough. And the other that descent off robinson into Newlands is ridge running lethal and slow going in windy conditions. Imagine the rock on the descent iced over. You could save a lot of time descending into the valley early and following the grassy path its less ungulating and there is no danger of icy slips plus its a lot quicker anyway.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Given that "winter" conditions can be anything from bare semi frozen ground to deep snow I wouldn't be too concerned with the exact route until very close to the time, more likely on the day.

Personally I'd think about avoiding Hall's Fell, Broad Stand (and Lord's Rake) and the flanking route round Black Crag under any conditions on a winter BG attempt. The only other bit likely to be a problem would be the rakes up Bowfell.

Where could you save time? On and off Great Calva would be one section - like you say 51 mins to GC is generous - also worth checking out Baggins' line past Skiddaw House to get to Blencathra, have a check of old BG threads. Combine with a sure descent down Doddick Fell and you may well find yourself sufficiently ahead of schedule early on without having had to expend too much effort to do so.

Apart from the sections mentioned, speed is going to be so obviously affected by conditions underfoot that anything else is just a guess - I've been across Martcrag Moor dryshod in February for instance getting from Pike o' Blisco to Langdale Combe in twelve minutes without struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Imagine descending Blencathra in ice and snow. Very tough. And the other that descent off robinson into Newlands is ridge running lethal and slow going in windy conditions. Imagine the rock on the descent iced over. You could save a lot of time descending into the valley early and following the grassy path its less ungulating and there is no danger of icy slips plus its a lot quicker anyway.
    I took that line off Robinson on my summer BGR so that's an easy one, and it was soaking wet. Think Doddick comes into play on Blencathra if it's icy... THat's a nice way off actually.

Bob i would love it if Martcrag moor were frozen, that would make one of the dullest sections one of the best - love running on bouncy frozen peat. I'll allow more timne for the scafells and go up foxes methinks...
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 13-07-2009 at 09:21 PM.

Master

On a different note though i would like to support maybe leg 1 or 2 if you dont mind
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

No worries, that's good going, i only decided on this today and now i have help already....thanks, i'll let you know the details, but i'm looking for a 9 pm start
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 13-07-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    I'm doing a mid-winter BGR this year, Dec 18/19 all going well. I'm determined that redundancy and gardening leave have a silver lining...

23:59 will do but i'm actually thinking about tweaking the classic 23.5 hour schedule i used on my summer round to a) get it down to 23 and b) allow longer on the tougher rockier bits and cut the generous ones where winter/darkness is less likely to make a difference (e.g. Calva in 51 mins is always always generous in my experience, having done leg one a dozen times at least).

Does anyone have experience of a winter round and can give advice on what specific bits they found needed adjustment?

THanks

ST
    I've done leg 2 in full winter condition faster than in summer. a good layer of hard snow with an inch of fresh stuff meant it felt like a smooth hilly road run, you could put your feet any where in toal confidence.

Also done most of leg three where Billy's rake is prone to icing and can be quite scarey, full crampons and ice axe for this section.

I run plenty in winter with decent studs and have carried an axe once or twice. Wonder if having a set of those running shoe crampons is worth it for the round? There are two rakes on Bowfell and it would be interesting to see how they each fare in icy conditions.

Ore gap could provide a emergency alternative....

No worries, that's good going, i only decided on this today and now i have help already....thanks, i'll let you know the details, but i'm looking for a 9 pm start
    Well on the 19th its the forum 'xmas on the fells'.

Now, either we could all do one huge supported leg with you....if it was anything like last year you'd have 20+ on the leg.

Or depending on how fit/tired/early/late/lazy we all are some of us might be able to do a leg after the xmas on the fells run.

Just an idea......dont know how it would work out though.

I run plenty in winter with decent studs and have carried an axe once or twice. Wonder if having a set of those running shoe crampons is worth it for the round? There are two rakes on Bowfell and it would be interesting to see how they each fare in icy conditions.

Ore gap could provide a emergency alternative....
    when we went up earlier this year we were the first up following a heavy fall and cold freeze, snow had banked out the face with water ice streaks all over, most had crampons but we still cut steps over the steeper bits. took at least twice the usual time for this section. harder snow underneath meant this was very slow and hard work

Photos