Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Junior Races

Re: Best Junior Races

Not wishing to be pedantic, but Scald Law and Alva are in Scotland.

Taking into account parking, facilities, course for championship races:
    Sedbergh, Pendle, High Rigg, Wansfell, AW, Viking Chase, Shutlingsloe, Coiners, 3 Shires, West Nab, Dodd Fell and with apologies to organisers, probably many others I've forgotten.
    However, I refer to previous posts on this subject; we rely on the goodwill, energy, and time of landowners and organisers, so together with other considerations such as geographic spread, championship races are and have to be rotated. Regrettably, the increased popularity of junior running means that a lot of venues are no longer suitable as it is difficult if not impossible to provide parking and other facilities.
    Keep building the list.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Master

wheres west nab
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

West Nab is based at Meltham SW of Huddersfield. Not run anymore as far as I know, which is a shame. Probably needs a volunteer organiser. Not sure if parking is still available.

Master

About 3 miles from me then. So did it go up and round the trig point. The saddleworth races are really good and well worth a thought as an FRA championships.Shepherds Skyline is another nice route.

Started at the eastern end of the valley above the old mill/factory. Down the track and alongside the stream, then eventually turn right up the side of the valley. U20 as used to be, did 2 laps, younger age groups did variations on that side of the valley. Seniors did 2 laps but on second lap headed WSW (?) out of the valley, across the B road and up to the trig before returning to valley - about 7 miles. Quite tough on a hot day.

Shepherd Skyline - parking?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    Started at the eastern end of the valley above the old mill/factory. Down the track and alongside the stream, then eventually turn right up the side of the valley. U20 as used to be, did 2 laps, younger age groups did variations on that side of the valley. Seniors did 2 laps but on second lap headed WSW (?) out of the valley, across the B road and up to the trig before returning to valley - about 7 miles. Quite tough on a hot day.
    Is that not now Cop Hill fell race

Hi Tom, Don't think so. Looks as though that goes N out of Meltham. West Nab used Royd Edge for the juniors, with seniors making it out to the trig on West Nab.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    Hi Tom, Don't think so. Looks as though that goes N out of Meltham. West Nab used Royd Edge for the juniors, with seniors making it out to the trig on West Nab.
    aye ive just had a look at the route. It all added up though 2 laps etc. I saw you earlier point about Scald Law and Alva being in scotland. There are several reasons why i like Scald Law. It isnt easier for juniors something that i think certain races are (Shutlingsloe 2008). They arent contrived routes. The height-ascent makes them catagory A. And they are a true test of a fell runner as oppose to a Track/X-Country Runner (which i profess i am). Perhaps we like them more when they are hard as we get greater satisfaction out of finishing instead of a disapointment when an english championship is sort of cross-countryish. This nyear though i have only been to 2 races it has improved greatly with each race very much showing its own unique features. AW (ridge running), Coiners (Boggy Tussocky), Ambleside (Short and Sharp)

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    aye ive just had a look at the route. It all added up though 2 laps etc. I saw you earlier point about Scald Law and Alva being in scotland. There are several reasons why i like Scald Law. It isnt easier for juniors something that i think certain races are (Shutlingsloe 2008). They arent contrived routes. The height-ascent makes them catagory A. And they are a true test of a fell runner as oppose to a Track/X-Country Runner (which i profess i am). Perhaps we like them more when they are hard as we get greater satisfaction out of finishing instead of a disapointment when an english championship is sort of cross-countryish. This nyear though i have only been to 2 races it has improved greatly with each race very much showing its own unique features. AW (ridge running), Coiners (Boggy Tussocky), Ambleside (Short and Sharp)
    TT with you not doing ambleside i think it is unfair for you to judge it as a short race it was taking the england internationals over 20 mins the course was about 2.5m with a 1600ft climb it was a real test and my favourite course
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    TT with you not doing ambleside i think it is unfair for you to judge it as a short race it was taking the england internationals over 20 mins the course was about 2.5m with a 1600ft climb it was a real test and my favourite course
    It is a short race though. Like you said BOFRA like. Im not denying it was hard but for all purposes perhaps is should have said BOFRA instead of short. But for a race with 1600ft of climb it is undeniably quite short