Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Oh god, kayaking

Re: Oh god, kayaking

Im getting a bit nervy about the cold nights drawing in and training through the winter.

Can anyone recommend a wetsuit that would keep me warm if I fell in during the winter but would not be to uncomfortable to train effectively in.

I currently have a cheapo shorty £18 that I bought to do a bit of body boarding in cornwall.

Im thinking triathlon type suit winter job but dont know where to start looking and how much to pay.

Cheers
    Jamie

Try a long john type wet suit, notonursmelly. Covers legs and torso, but leaves your arms free. Combine that with a semi dry top and its not a bad combination. Get them pretty cheap anywhere, decathalon, maybe even argos. Not sure about second hand though I used to pee into all of mine

undercover moderator

Ok, one more thing for this race on Saturday.

It's shorter than the one I was originally doing, it's something like 800yd sea swim (arse), 20 mile bike, 6 mile kayak and 6 mile run.

The kayaking is in a canal, but I don't know how deep it is. You don't have to wear a buoyancy aid for it, but then again they have trusted you to swim in the sea without sinking.

Thing is, what do I do if I fall in? I mean apart from spluttering, and splashing ineffectually, and doing my Tourettes thing.

Can you get back in the boat thing easily ? (I'm borrowing a "general purpose" boat, which I'd like to think means it has things like a kettle on board, but I'm not sure).

Or do you have to look pathetic (I'm good at that) until someone rescues you?

Ta lots.

I would wear a BA - keeps you warm! And good habit - helps you get to the surface if you fall out! Boats easy to get back into if it's something you have done before otherwise you could just keep flipping back over again!! SOunds like it would be fun to watch! If you fall out get to the surface - Empty your boat which can be v hard on your own - Or if there isn't much water in it just jump back in. Lean over grab far side of cockpit, flick your legs, jump and splash lot and wiggle yourself back in!!

I think not falling out of your boat is your best option Mud! Or else, just look pathetic until rescued?
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Yeah the Tourettes thing. Did that recently when i got lost. You won't find any of those place names on the map, that's for sure. It's always worth a go, esp if you find yourself up a certain creek without a certain implement.

Good luck!

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by vburke View Post
    If you fall out get to the surface
    That is my number-one-top-tip for Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by vburke View Post
    Empty your boat which can be v hard on your own - Or if there isn't much water in it just jump back in. Lean over grab far side of cockpit, flick your legs, jump and splash lot and wiggle yourself back in!!
    Thanks for this, the far side of the cockpit bit sounds like something I may be able to remember.

Ideally, I'm hoping that I won't fall in at the transition point where everyone is watching. Although that would mean I had some little helpers present. Once they'd stopped laughng.

Actually, I think I may practise the getting-back-in-thing when I get into bed in a minute.

Mud,

Canals are not usually that deep (up north anyway). I fell in the Bridgewater at Runcorn on Friday. A number of startled fishermen where really concerned for me. I just waved and said dont worry it happens all the time.

If you are on a canal and are felling unstabe it might be a good idea to paddle close to the bank for a quick get out - empty - carry on, consequence of this is the fact that if there are other boats close by in the race all of the wash (swell caused by them) ripples at the side and makes the side rougher than the middle. Catch 22 really.

If nobodys about, bank hang then if you go in its quicker to get out. If there is a lot of boats get in the middle to have less chance of going in cos of wash.

And please if there are any canal barges be sure to over take them they only go 4mph (come on your faster than that), I love racing them.

Give us a full report on how things go, good luck.

Jamie

undercover moderator

Hurrah, I didn't fall out! Thank you for all the advice.

It was all a bit emotional at times, because I couldn't get the flipping boat to go in a straight line. One of the nice spectators said that the most positive thing about my boat was that it would be great for taking in the surf afterwards.

It was certainly the nearest I've come to being last in a race (not helped by a lot of entrants doing it as a relay; one person for swimming and kayaking, one for bike and run).

But, I did have a play in a proper boat afterwards, and it was reassuring that I could make that go in the right direction.

1:25:00 for six miles, Jamie, so I'd have only just beaten your canal barges (and seeing as most of the time I was going sideways, I may not have been able to squeeze past them).

Fighting the boat for that long has also left with me some lumps and brusies in strange places - I'm hoping some of those have gone before Langdale.

Anyway, there's a longer report on the blog in my signature if you like, and thanks again for the help everyone.

Nice report Mud and glad you managed to stay dry, they are a bugger to steer are'nt they. Im forever getting b****ed off the group for using the wrong side of the river and getting in the way.

That times pretty good, you probably did more than six mile with all the meandering.

Was it a sea kayak?

Did a ten mile session last night, I'm back to a more stable boat which means I can train harder without worrying about capsizing. Im getting fitter and its keeping me sane whilst not running.

Half way through the session it was lights out as it went dark, this is a whole new ball game. You cant see the waves and the temperature drops as well as logs become invisible. Good fun though.

Well Done
    Jamie