Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh god, kayaking

Re: Oh god, kayaking

If the water is tidal and you are going with the tide head for deep water as the tide will be running quicker there so less effort. If against head for shallower water.

They won't let you on the water with out personel Bouyancy but if they don't supply one you need a BA not a life jacket( pedantic maybe) but it will save you lots of pounds if you do need to buy one and you will be able to paddle easier. Kayak BA's are also cut different than standard BA's to aid paddeling.

Good to see jamie is still about even if his knees are still dodgy :0(

If anywhere near winderemere, they do kayaking courses quite cheaply. Confidence is the key, am just getting back to kayaking and need 2star but it didn't need alot of re-learning.
    Reach forward and aim for a long stroke it does help!!

Quote Originally Posted by biara View Post
    Reach forward and aim for a long stroke it does help!!
    What are you talking about?

when in the water and paddling the tendency is to try to paddle fast and the stroke becomes shorter with the paddle going in not much further than level with half way down your thigh, then to go fast it ends up coming out level with your bum!! If you reach forward and aim to put the paddle in the water by your knees or further and take the paddle out almost behind you, you will really build up speed. There is a 'fast' stream of water parallel to your boat when moving at speed, keep your paddle moving that along, and it will create less turbulence and really help you move fast. Quality of the stroke, not quantity is one of the secrets.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    Its not arms its trunk rotation.
    So, if they were a bit lighter, elephants would be good at it?

undercover moderator

when in the water and paddling the tendency is to try to paddle fast and the stroke becomes shorter with the paddle going in not much further than level with half way down your thigh, then to go fast it ends up coming out level with your bum!! If you reach forward and aim to put the paddle in the water by your knees or further and take the paddle out almost behind you, you will really build up speed.
    That sounds a lot like the advice with swimming - reaching forward with your fingertips and making sure you complete the stroke down by your hips.

I hope I'm better at kayaking than I am at swimming, but I've got a day booked on Friday for messing about in boats on the river.

Must remember to stop when I get to the sea...

If you reach forward and aim to put the paddle in the water by your knees or further and take the paddle out almost behind you, you will really build up speed.

I have always been taught in as far forward as possible (toes), out at the knees anything after the knee is waste, taking the paddle out behind you usually causes instability.

I wanted to enter an event on Windermere where you raced 10 miles in a kayak and ran up three hills along the way. They would not let me do it solo only teams of two in a two man boat and I could not find anymore to paddle with. maybe next year eh mud

Cheers
    jamie[/QUOTE]

Whats the Windermere race please? (and when is it?)

Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
    I wanted to enter an event on Windermere where you raced 10 miles in a kayak and ran up three hills along the way. They would not let me do it solo only teams of two in a two man boat and I could not find anymore to paddle with. maybe next year eh mud

Cheers
    jamie
    Whats the Windermere race please? (and when is it?)[/QUOTE]

I asked him on suday, he couldnt remember.

I was out on Windermere about a month ago - there was some sort of organised kayak/canoe event going in the opposite direction, I think they were paddling the length of the lake from Waterhead to Lakeside. The leading boat (or at least the first one that we saw) was a double going at a real pace. But I dont think they were stopping to run, and I dont think it was actually a race. I like the sound of this one though.