Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh god, kayaking

Re: Oh god, kayaking

Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
    I was out on Windermere about a month ago - there was some sort of organised kayak/canoe event going in the opposite direction, I think they were paddling the length of the lake from Waterhead to Lakeside. The leading boat (or at least the first one that we saw) was a double going at a real pace. But I dont think they were stopping to run, and I dont think it was actually a race. I like the sound of this one though.
    I was there then as well!

Yeah it was a race from one end to the other.
    That was the weekend all the preston harriers where up doing Gummers Howe.

This is it,

http://www.total-adventure.co.uk/win...challenge.html

it is part of the weekend that pudgy mentioned they would not let me do it K1. I could not find a partner to go K2 with me and run as well should have tried on here inhindsight.

Fell out of my boat into the river tonight, it was windy and I have stepped my boat upto a slightlyfaster but tippier boat.

Trying to get used to it before winter training.

You still on for next year Al, we'll have to get some training paddles in.

Jamie

The race looks good. I have a double sea kayak which I normally paddle with my wife, who is not a runner. If its on next year and I am about at the time I will be looking for a second paddler.

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    This is it,

http://www.total-adventure.co.uk/win...challenge.html

it is part of the weekend that pudgy mentioned they would not let me do it K1. I could not find a partner to go K2 with me and run as well should have tried on here inhindsight.

Fell out of my boat into the river tonight, it was windy and I have stepped my boat upto a slightlyfaster but tippier boat.

Trying to get used to it before winter training.

You still on for next year Al, we'll have to get some training paddles in.

Jamie
    Hell yeah!

How easy is kayaking? I want to do a bit and have been looking at kayaks inflatables/kayaks/canoes/sit on tops - just want to pootle round Derwentwater/Ullswater really with the kid(s) so looking at 2 man really. Any suggestions or advice?
    Cheers

undercover moderator

Piece of cake, Grouse.

Piece of soggy cake.

Me and a friend did a a little over 9 miles on our maiden voyage last Friday, hour and a half down with the tide, two and a half hours back up. I didn't really get the body rotation thing at all, but I've found a video to watch on Youtube about it.

I'd wrap the kids up warm if they aren't paddling, because they'll get cold quite quick, but other than that I think it's a bit of a nice adventure for them. And even nicer if you find a lake that isn't tidal.

One thing that helped me with trunk rotation Mud, was imagine you're sitting on a skate board with two lines of iron stakes sticking out the ground in front of you. reach forward, grab a stake and pull yourself past it, reaching forward with your other hand to grab the next stake (all in your imagination, of course). Hopefully that will get your shoulders turning. You'll know if you've got it right, if your feet are pushing and pulling as well

It'll also give your kids a laugh.

Mud, I see your training is coming along well....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/...e-falls-record
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    How easy is kayaking? I want to do a bit and have been looking at kayaks inflatables/kayaks/canoes/sit on tops - just want to pootle round Derwentwater/Ullswater really with the kid(s) so looking at 2 man really. Any suggestions or advice?
    Cheers
    My wife and I used to have a sevylor colorado which is a 2 person inflatable which can be paddled solo as well. It was pretty good for what it cost, did a lot on Ullswater and Derwentwater and a little coastal paddling in good weather at Arisaig and West coast of Ireland. We changed it earlier this year for a proper sea kayak because we want to do more on the sea but for £300 or so the colorado was good value and a good intro provided you dont expect too much - for example Derwentwater was a good day out in the Colorado, but in the sea kayak we did the full length of Windermere and back comfortably in a leisurely day. The sevylor is a cross between a kayak and a canoe - you sit in it and paddle it like a kayak but the top is open, so you can expect to get wet (or you could paddle it with canoe paddles but to me thats a bit like not having dropped handlebars on a bike - just plain wrong!). If you fancy one the shop in Keswick close to the Oxfam shop seems to be the cheapest place in the UK, even including the internet, but if you do get one its worth getting some slightly better and stronger paddles than the ones included in the deal. Hope this helps.