Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: overseas races

Re: FRA membership no.

Quote Originally Posted by Feet in the Cowclaps View Post
    Oh and the rules for what it says on the medical certificate have changed this year, so instead of being 'sports in a competition', it's now 'running in a competition'. This is to stop golfers and pétanque players from getting up one morning, deciding they could run le marathon des sables and being accepted. Here's the new version :

CERTIFICAT DE NON CONTRE - INDICATION A LA PRATIQUE DE LA COURSE A PIED EN COMPETITION
    (MEDICAL CERTIFICATE PROVING APTITUDE TO THE PRACTICE OF RUNNING IN A COMPETITION)

Je soussigné(e):
    (I the undersigned,)

Docteur en médicine
    (Doctor of medicine)

après avoir examiné ce jour:
    (have today examined)

Mlle/Mme ou M.:
    (Miss, Mrs or Mr

Né(e) le:
    (Born on

certifie que son état de santé actuel ne présente pas de contre-indication à la pratique de la course à pied en compétition).
    (and certify that he/she demonstrates a level of fitness that does not prevent the practice of running in competitions.)

Date:
    Date

Signature et cachet:
    Signature and stamp:
    I'm having problems getting a doc to sign me a form, I've found one on line Doc but he wants £80 !!

This form is more vague, I'm not sure what they want, Would this be acceptable.

I'm not paying out £80, can you self certificate? I won a race on Monday, I'm usually in the top 20%.

If I'm not fit to race then who is....?

If I ever race in France I plan to fudge up my own medical certificate, with a fake signature. It might even be worth getting a fake rubber stamp made - still much cheaper than £80. No race organiser is going to start telephoning your GP to check if the cert is genuine. The point of the cert is to cover the organisers against your suing them if you collapse with eg a heart attack. A fake cert would serve this purpose just as well as a real one. Incidentally, super-fit young runners sadly do sometimes have undiagnosed heart defects and drop dead during races.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Ian, sorry not had time to read the whole of this - but is it your recent problems with the ticker that have led to this difficulty in getting a medical note?

Should be straightforward - my GP just wrote me one straight off, no charge.

Insurance by the way, turned out to be a Spanish thing: i.e., if you were a member of one of the Spanish running / athletic assocs then you had insurance and did not have to pay for it on the day. Just meant I paid 36 euros to enter instead of 30, as did any non-Spanish runner (or non-Spanish-affiliated).
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 27-07-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Ian, sorry not had time to read the whole of this - but is it your recent problems with the ticker that have led to this difficulty in getting a medical note?

Should be straightforward - my GP just wrote me one straight off, no charge.

Insurance by the way, turned out to be a Spanish thing: i.e., if you were a member of one of the Spanish running / athletic assocs then you had insurance and did not have to pay for it on the day. Just meant I paid 36 euros to enter instead of 30, as did any non-Spanish runner (or non-Spanish-affiliated).

yes that was the main problem, however I my wife wasn't happy with me fudging/forging etc, I couldn't get insurance either for racing as I'm very limited on travel insurance at the moment so....

I blagged my way in to the race with out a certificate and then ran conservatively so as not to risk any injury...

Great race although the locals I was racing against were a bit put out as I stopped to take pictures before running passed them again..

Just before the start I heard this....."is that a Dark Peak vest?" apparently we get every where... any way the voice came from Rossendales stalwart vet 50 Phil Taylor and wife Karen, we all had a good race with Phil and Karen being in the prizes. I was 4th vet and 25th out of 98. good steep course not unlike some lakes races but with a 2700ft climb followed by a mad 2700ft descent straight back to the finish, quads were shot by then end.

ooops nearly forgot, thanks to FITC for all his help and advice.:thumbup:
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 01-08-2011 at 09:32 PM.

well done sir!

which race / where was it again?

Must say, the organiser of the Nuria Classic sky race who had to deal with my dozen or so emailed questions (in my defence all the instructions and details on the website were in Catalan ....) was a real gent. Thank you Albert!

A great experience and an awesome race route. Came 197 out of 600 in 3h35m. About 70-80 of the backmarkers got caught in a pretty nasty storm and either abandoned or were timed out.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I couldn't get insurance either for racing as I'm very limited on travel insurance at the moment so....
    I joined the AAC for the sake of their travel insurance, which ONLY covers treatment for emergency illness/accident, search & rescue and repatriation. The wonder of it is, no questions are asked as to medical history and the fee PER ANNUM is £32 if over 60, otherwise £42, with no age-related cutoff point. I have studied the leaflet and running is not mentioned either as covered or not. The wording concerning races and training is a bit opaque, but I think it means you are covered unless you are being paid to do it. Guides however ARE covered. I have emailed the Austrians (in English!) for confirmation. For comparison, a BMC policy for me would cost £176 for a year, and they would be asking questions about existing conditions. And when I am 80 they would "refer you to the underwriters" (for instant euthanasia?).
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I joined the AAC for the sake of their travel insurance, which ONLY covers treatment for emergency illness/accident, search & rescue and repatriation. The wonder of it is, no questions are asked as to medical history and the fee PER ANNUM is £32 if over 60, otherwise £42, with no age-related cutoff point. I have studied the leaflet and running is not mentioned either as covered or not. The wording concerning races and training is a bit opaque, but I think it means you are covered unless you are being paid to do it. Guides however ARE covered. I have emailed the Austrians (in English!) for confirmation. For comparison, a BMC policy for me would cost £176 for a year, and they would be asking questions about existing conditions. And when I am 80 they would "refer you to the underwriters" (for instant euthanasia?).
    .... at least it is not to the undertakers .....

la grave- july

I'm in la Grave- edge of ecrins in early July- any races or tips

I know some folk have run the ecrins gr- what was it like?
    any gen appreciated