Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welsh Eligibilty

Master

Welsh Eligibilty

Right i think im eligible for Wales but i was wondering is it the same as in football i.e. Welsh grandparent=Welsh eligibility or are there different rules. I couldnt find anything to suggest otherwise. If it makes a difference my dad although from Stckport was also born in Bangor or Caenarfon
    Last edited by TurboTom; 18-07-2009 at 12:19 AM.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Master

Re: Welsh Eligibilty

So im ok then . Cheers. I couldnt find it on the WFRA website but i forgot to look on welsh athletics

WFRA has nothing to do with WA (I'm fairly sure), for example in Wales we have Welsh Mountain Running Championships which are the WA championships, then the WFRA Welsh Fell Running Championships. All a bit confusing. But the WFRA are different to the FRA in that they aren't connected to UKA or WA - I think..

Thought you'd be tucked up in bed at that time what with a big race up Snowdon today!

'Welsh Eligibility' in terms of representation in international events is a Welsh Athletics concept and therefore WA regulations apply. WFRA race entry forms have a box relating to Welsh eligibility which purely relates to one component of the WFRA champs.

Good luck today - will no doubt see you hurtling down towards me at some point!

Question Re: Welsh Eligibilty

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Right i think im eligible for Wales but i was wondering is it the same as in football i.e. Welsh grandparent=Welsh eligibility or are there different rules. I couldnt find anything to suggest otherwise. If it makes a difference my dad although from Stckport was also born in Bangor or Caenarfon

Do you feel Welsh?

Master

I like sheep and fell at home in petes eats. My personallity is rocky and sharp like Wales and not grassy and soft like the lakes. So i guess so

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    I like sheep and fell at home in petes eats. My personallity is rocky and sharp like Wales and not grassy and soft like the lakes. So i guess so
    You'd be better off trying to get an English vest mate, you've just insulted the Welsh with your sheep quote, yeah very funny mate don't run for Wales in the Snowdon Race and say that in Llanberis after the race cos you'll get your head kicked in. As for Pete's Eats, Pete's English and a bit of a weirdo to boot. The only thing Welsh about him is the fact his cafe's in Wales.

It's quite easy to work out who you should run for really, do you count yourself Welsh, English Scottish, Mongolian etc? Me personally, I'm Welsh born and bred but will never get the chance to represent my county cos I'm shit runner!

If I was a good runner I'd be embarrased to represent another county, even if I'd lived there for a few years as I am and always will be a Welshman. I notice that most people who do represent Wales but who aren't Welsh are from England. You don't get much Scottish or Irish trying to get a Welsh vest, such as Colin Donnelly who although has lived in Wales for a few years is a proud Scotsman.

Tom, your obviously English so try your best to represent your country and don't try to take a short cut to an international vest by trying to get in on the fact your father was born in Bangor. Have some pride in your nationality.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil Wiwar View Post

If I was a good runner I'd be embarrased to represent another county, even if I'd lived there for a few years as I am and always will be a Welshman. I notice that most people who do represent Wales but who aren't Welsh are from England. You don't get much Scottish or Irish trying to get a Welsh vest, such as Colin Donnelly who although has lived in Wales for a few years is a proud Scotsman.

Tom, your obviously English so try your best to represent your country and don't try to take a short cut to an international vest by trying to get in on the fact your father was born in Bangor. Have some pride in your nationality.

Re your other point, what about Steve Gililand? he's ran for Wales yet is N Irish (I think), Ian Houston ran for Wales and he's Scottish..sorry to rip apart your argument with some facts..

Of course most of the eligible by residency Welsh Runners will come from England, look at the respective populations, England's population is what 10 x? bigger than any of the other home nations and most of the non-welsh residents are English.. You're not that smart are you?

You just sound jealous.

I count myself as British, then English but I still represent Wales in a few disciplines and am extremely proud to do so. I was born in England but since 18 have never lived there, only in Scotland, Wales and NZ. I'm proud to run for Wales, I satisfy the eligibility criteria so why shouldn't I?
    Last edited by IainR; 19-07-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

I count myself as British, then English but I still represent Wales in a few disciplines and am extremely proud to do so. I was born in England but since 18 have never lived there, only in Scotland, Wales and NZ. I'm proud to run for Wales, I satisfy the eligibility criteria so why shouldn't I?
    By reading that I take it you count yourself English not Welsh. If you were offered to represent either England or Wales who would you chose? I'm not doubting that you are not as proud as any born and bred Welshman when you represent Wales. I do think that anyone who has to search a relative's birth certificate to get an international vest regardless of which country it is isn't showing much respect to that country or in my opinion pride in his own nationality.

As for being jealous, far from it. What I am is a Nationalist so someone talking about representing my country in a flippant way does touch a nerve.