Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Races coming up ...

Southern Races coming up ...

Ok - no mountains but these are mostly off road and all offer some hill action.

Arundel 10K - 15/4/07. Two short sharp ascents on chalk and a good fast downhill. About 75% off road. Details - Entry Secretary, 30 Torton Hill Road, Arundel, West Susex, BN18 9HL

Bluebell 10K - Angmering Park, undulating, 100% off road. Details - www.rawenergypursuits.co.uk

Trundle Hill - 23/5/07. Out and back, 100% off road. First half is up, second half is down - and it is steep. Last year was a mudbath. Details - 2, North Road, Bosham, Chichester, West Sussex, P018 8NL

GoodWood 10K Trail - 3/6/07. This is the hardest 10K I've ever done, it's an out and back round the hills of Goodwood and has some serious climbing involved. Details - Gill Wilkinson, Sunfold, 2, West Drive, Elmer, West Sussex, P022 7TS

Arundel Castle 10K - 2/9/07. Short sharp steep climb up through the castle then along the road for 5k before descending at speed doen target valley then up Mill Hanger before a steep descent through the caste grounds. Great run adn scenery - 50% off road. Details as the above Arundel Run.

Will post more races that may be of interest when they come up. Hope to see some of you out there and maybe some of you hard Northerners if you're down here on your hols.

Re: Southern Races coming up .

Not done Bluebell or Goodwood. Think I will have to throw my hat in for those two in particular. See you at Arundel Downsman?

Yep - I'll be at Arundel Pav so see you there. Hope the PF is okay. Asthma has been much better thanks to new medication and use of a power breather. The Trundle and Goodwood are my faves - Goodwood is a killer though and it doesn't kick off until 11.00am. Last year it was baking hot. I think Baker won it in about 40 odd minutes and the first woman was about 55or so. I managed 60 minutes and my PB for a 10K is 45. Better get out on the hills and train I suppose.

I like the sound of Goodwood and the Trundle (how far is it?).

Let's not forget the 3 Forts 1/2 and full marathons. http://www.threefortsmarathon.org.uk/

Also do any southeners know if the Rottingdean Windmill 8 mile, 15 mile and marathon are on this June?

Lastly looking ahead there's the Jog Shop Jog http://www.jogshop.co.uk/html/jogshopjog/

and the Beachy Head Head marathon
    http://www.robin-web.co.uk/beachyhead/

Cheers - Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Not done Bluebell or Goodwood. Think I will have to throw my hat in for those two in particular. See you at Arundel Downsman?
    Hello Pav - I think the Bluebell is the same day as the 3 Forts.

Cheers - Raymond

3 Forts it is then! Cheers Raymond.
    Trundle Hill is only about 5 miles but good ol' up and down. If it is wet, fell shoes are a must.

I reckon Pav is about right for the Trundle - about 6 miles maybe but they never say and I've never bothered to measure it on the map. Fell shoes as must as he says - last year was a mudbath as I say and it was very slippery. The ascent/descent is on chalk and grass and like ice in the wet. Hope to see you there Raymond - and at Goodwood as well as it is the last time this will ever be run.

Where are you based Raymond?

I'm a Brightonian - born here and have been back here for the past ten years or so.

I've put the Trundle in my diary; sounds great.

Cheers - Raymond

Raymond,

Have you seen a date for this year's Jog Shop? I can only find last years on the web. I did it a few years ago when it was in mid Summer, and really struggled with the heat. I would be far keener to try again now its moved to October.

BTW - I'm Fareham based. Have you run Butser Hill race or Meon Valley Plod?

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    Raymond,

Have you seen a date for this year's Jog Shop? I can only find last years on the web. I did it a few years ago when it was in mid Summer, and really struggled with the heat. I would be far keener to try again now its moved to October.

BTW - I'm Fareham based. Have you run Butser Hill race or Meon Valley Plod?

Hello Gej - I have the Jog Shop entry form in front of me which says Sunday October 14th 9.00am.

What are the dates for the Buster Hill and the Meon Valley Plod (hasn't this just gone)?

Cheers - Raymond