Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ras Yr Aran

Ras Yr Aran

Am in Snowdonia this weekend and spotted this in the calendar, may try and do it.

Anyone done it before?

Whats it like?

Looks as though its an out and back course from the website map?

Any info would be great.

Cheers
    Smile on the way up, scream on the way down!

Re: Ras Yr Aran

A few of us from Pennine did it last year for the first time and we really enjoyed it, especially the cosy pub afterwards. It's quite tough as you go up onto the ridge steeply and it then undulates to the summit over about 2 miles, so you've got about 4 miles of undulating terrain and it's remarkably easy to get disorientated - no big tracks here. The weather was cold, wet, windy and misty with big patches of sodden, deep snow last year.

You can read Alan's report here: http://www.penninefellrunners.co.uk/YrAran.htm

Hope you enjoy it!

Just noticed that you said you're in Snowdonia - be aware that it takes a long time to drive there cross country from Llanberis so give yourself plenty of time.

Richard

I may see you up there. I'm not racing (injured) but I was planning a long walk/jog up on the Arrans tomorrow anyway. I will be coming up from the other end and try to time it for the race - hangover permitting

If you see a scruffy little fellow with a daysac somewhere on the tops, probably me.

Navigation wise, there is a fenceline all the way to the top. Basically if you don't cross the fence to the right, and don't fall off the ridge to the left, and keep going upwards, you'll get there. Obviously there's a few sheep trods etc that cut corners (follow other runners), but you can't really go anywhere but to the summit.

Looking from home there was snow on the tops 3 days ago (I can see Arans on a clear day). I would expect majority of it to have gone by now, but bound to find a bit left up high.

It's a lovely ridge, but far better from the other end , enjoy it.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Would be there but for the little matter of a week's skiing, starting tomorrow - they have some real snow out there at the moment! Lovely!!

Molehill, I will be the scruffy little fellow with a red/green Ilkley vest on! Will shout out if I see you!

Thanks for the route advice, sounds simple enough even for me to follow!

Anyone else gonna be there?
    Smile on the way up, scream on the way down!

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

On paper it looks an easyish race. Not too long, not too much climb & you can follow a fence all the way up & down, but I found it pretty demanding last year.

The terrain was rough, the route not too obvious, the weather made visibility a problem & the snow higher up scraped my shins raw.

I felt chuffed with myself when I finished.

Good luck all.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

I'm going to give this one a go. I'm needing to get some AM's and AL's in to build up my strength. I'll be the one in black at the back...

I haven't done the race, but frequently train up there. I always come from the other end of the Aran. If one could race a loop from the South end, it would make a cracker of a course. Unfortunately not very practical.

It is a great ridge with some stunning views from the top, little chance for you to stop and enjoy them but return one day for a run out .

Worth noting it is higher than Cadair - but with none of the crowds.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

just done this one...what a brilliant day for it. the weather was unbeleivable.

thanks greame and marshalls it was a great race....

loved the hard slog up

a bit disappointed with my time, i got serious bonks and stitch coming off that hill before the summit on the way back and for the rest of the way down, lost loads of time but never mind there's always next year.

molehill, i think i saw you coming down when i was a third of the way up. could you have cheerily said to some completely demoralised knackered red faced sweat drenched puffer, "come on you've got miles to go yet"?

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Well done P4T, I told you it was a wee toughy. How were the conditions? Was it boggy? Was there any snow to negotiate? Who won?
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.