Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Ras Yr Aran

Nice one Llani, must have been a good day for it. I ran the race in 2020 (in poor conditions) and also harboured hopes of sub-2hrs (and also narrowly missed out).

We will be in Mid Wales on 23rd when this is due to be run. Trying to work up the bottle to enter, as having walked the course a few times I know how tough it is. Maybe after a bunch of beers on Saturday night I'll do the stupid thing. Hope there may be a few other also rans so I'm not to lonely at the back as the leaders race down.
    Anyone from here doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    We will be in Mid Wales on 23rd when this is due to be run. Trying to work up the bottle to enter, as having walked the course a few times I know how tough it is. Maybe after a bunch of beers on Saturday night I'll do the stupid thing. Hope there may be a few other also rans so I'm not to lonely at the back as the leaders race down.
    Anyone from here doing this?
    Llani?

Apologies MattPo for forgetting to reply earlier.

No, not this year. I was going to do Edale Skyline the day after but just given my place to the wait list as I have realised that I would be kidding myself that Id be in any shape to do the race justice only a week after Flower Scar. Similar would apply to Ras Yr Aran.

I did it in 2022 on a beautiful day but still a tough race. Good luck and hopefully you won't be running into a strong south-westerly!

Oh, and don't forget to have a lamb burger at the end. They are delicious
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I did it in poor conditions the weekend prior to the country shutting down for Covid. It was a champs race.

Conditions were pretty poor. Despite that it was a good tough race.

Well after celebratory beers having done a 10km road race today, I’ve entered!

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Well after celebratory beers having done a 10km road race today, I’ve entered!
    Good man and good luck.

Well having got the bottle and entered a nervous me drove to Llanuwchllyn, with a host of ancient cars on a hill roads of Wales rally. I went round the long way via Dolgellau having seen the snow on top.
    Upon registering we were told it was to be a short course this year due to conditions. Mountain Rescue had said they weren’t happy with us going over both tops. Not surprised as there was snow from 600m and a very fresh wind.
    Met a few folk I vaguely knew at the start - Eddie Lesniak and others. Off we went, up to near Benllyn and down. I was steady on the ascent, but managed to pass a few on the descent so ended up not completely at the back.
    Great race topped off with a pint in the Eagle - lovely village pub, now run by the community.
    Thanks to the organisers and marshals.

Well Done.

No doubt you'll be back next year for the full course.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Well Done.

No doubt you'll be back next year for the full course.
    Yes, I might try and do all three in the Winter series.