Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ras Yr Aran

Re: Ras Yr Aran

Quote Originally Posted by pilchards4t View Post
    "come on you've got miles to go yet"?
    Yup, that was me - my idea of encouragement - I was right though, there was miles of uphill to bloody go.

Just jogging the ridge (down ) and enjoying the day made me realise what a sodding long slog it is, and seeing the summit in the distant haze can't exactly help matters for racers.

Good turnout, 103 starters I believe.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Did this myself today, fantastic race, my first over 1 hour fell race.
    Hopefully good training run for forthcoming 3 Peaks race.

Really enjoyed the race (particulary coming back down!). Weather was glorious and I found it nice to have some wet boggy sections to cool my feet down. I really struggled with the climb, ran out of jelly babies well before the summit but the slight breeze on the way down revived me.Hardest event I've done so far.

Thumbs up Re: Ras Yr Aran

Yesterday was 1 of those nigh on perfect days - even the drive back along the A494 as the sun was going down was a pleasure to behold. Really enjoyed the race (oops does that make me a fun runner (!), even stopped at the trig to have a drink & take in a 360 degree panoramic view.
    Lost a few places on the rocky descent as I knew I would but I for one like these out & back races where you get to see the front runners approaching and admire their superior athleticism.

Good to meet Paul H & Glass ankles - cu at the 3 peaks.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Lightweight......
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Really enjoyed this one, the weather and views were fantastic. My legs were completely gone by the time we hit the fields at the finish. It was certainly demanding but a great mix of rock, bogs, grass and even a bit of road!

Won by Chris Waters? (Ambleside), 2nd Roland Stafford (Mercia), not sure after that...

Mrs GA did it as well, practically her first run after 8 weeks out with a bad back, but she came back ok.

Everyone seemed to agree that this race is quite a toughie!
    Smile on the way up, scream on the way down!

I saw you and your Mrs in Ilkley shirts, I daid say "come on Ilkley" but you didn't seem to have a lot of breath for a chat .

Good long drag up there, very up and down, so must be hard to find a good rythmn. Well done anyway, lovely day out, but glad I was watching not racing.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Ras Yr Aran

Any doing this on Saturday?

Think I will, planned to do it as my first fell race back, but feel knackered,s ore calfs and a cold, following Rhayader 20 last weekend. But feeling a bit brighter today.

It's over 11 miles, so longer than the 10 quoted, and feels quite a long run. In bad weather runners will be very exposed to the winds as a good 2-3 miles is along the summit ridge. Gale forced Northerlies predicted.

Did this a couple of years ago in real winter conditions. It's an excellent route, even though we didn't see much of it due to the snow on the ground & mist in the air.

Despite it being an out and back route along the ridge there's definitely scope for local knowledge. I got to the summit before Jackie (about half an hour after Lloyd!), but on the way back down, as I emerged out of the mist I could see this figure racing down the hill about half a km ahead of me. It turned out to be Jackie. Even though I never saw her come past me, she must have got a much better line than I did.

It's toughy for sure, esp if weather is again you. I think the down is as hard as the up as it's just so rough under foot. There are indeed a few route choices, including heading right just before the duckboards and following a faint ATV track. Easy to see whilst going down, but not so easy on the way up.
    Why don't you look me in the eye when when you're talking to me?