Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ras Yr Aran

Re: Ras Yr Aran

Yeah that's the main short cut, plus following the fence at the tops, but coming up I'm not sure the quad track is that much of a short cut.

It's over 11 miles, so longer than the 10 quoted, and feels quite a long run. In bad weather runners will be very exposed to the winds as a good 2-3 miles is along the summit ridge. Gale forced Northerlies predicted.
    Ran this route last week,had it down as 9.5 mile.didn't do the little loop at the finish mind which would have made it up to about 10.I was a bit concerned i didn't quite reach the summit(over 2900'),but pretty sure i got to the top.You seem to drop slightly before you go over the stile,then up a short climb to an open flat summit with large cairn.The one section before the stile crossing has a very narrow path,close to fence and rock,could be interesting on way back with people coming the other way.It was very wet and boggy last week after sats rain,at least the wind will blow us up !!

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Any doing this on Saturday?

Think I will, planned to do it as my first fell race back, but feel knackered,s ore calfs and a cold, following Rhayader 20 last weekend. But feeling a bit brighter today.

It's over 11 miles, so longer than the 10 quoted, and feels quite a long run. In bad weather runners will be very exposed to the winds as a good 2-3 miles is along the summit ridge. Gale forced Northerlies predicted.
    Seems like DazH and I will be there tomorrow. I'll look forward to meeting you - watch out for the Pennine vests. Is there any snow on the tops?

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Gale forced Northerlies predicted.

That should blow us uphill!

Yeah, a bit, a dusting really, in main Snowdonia anyway, it'll make a few sections 'interesting', mainly the summit. Snow above 2000ft.

Rodders, are you sure you went to the far peak? 3 of us measured it on GPS as 11. something. You must have really, because Aran Benllyn would only be 8 miles, so to even be 9.5 it must have been Aran Fawddwy.

Think I'll do it now, decided not too this morning, and went out for a steady plod around the start of the glyders PBR section with some Penistone/DPFR lot and felt OK. So reckon I will.
    Last edited by IainR; 21-03-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Seems like DazH and I will be there tomorrow. I'll look forward to meeting you - watch out for the Pennine vests. Is there any snow on the tops?

eh
    id best sort some kit out then
    its still chucked in the shed from the hobble

Light covering of snow on Moelwyns and Arenig Fawr - whcih usually means there'll be a bit more on Aran, could be very similar conditions to 2 years back............................................if you aint done it before there's usually a superb trailer caravan thing selling organic Aran lamb burgers - perfect apres race..................

Rodders, are you sure you went to the far peak? 3 of us measured it on GPS as 11. something. You must have really, because Aran Benllyn would only be 8 miles, so to even be 9.5 it must have been Aran Fawddwy.
    I hope so Iain,i think we went to Benllyn initially thinking that it was the top.There is a small cairn on top,but it was only after about 3.7 mile,which i knew was too short.The cloud was down and so we couldn't see far ahead.Decided to carry on,it seems to undulate and pass a small lake on the right and then drop down before going over the stile and up to a much bigger cairn.It was tempting to carry on as there are some more distinctive paths coming from the other direction.I was looking forward to a fast descent but its much more technical than you imagine when climbing.
    Looking forward to it mind

Not sure, the summit is at the top of a very steep rocky section, almost 200ft of vertical ascent, there's a few cairns along the route at pt 872m and pt 885m. But the col and style add up so maybe it was. Anyway find out tommorrow :-)

Yeah agree re the descent, it's quite a bit harder than you think, a few rocky sections, so under snow I'll be careful on those sections, real scope for some serious slips. That final climb towards the end is only short but long enough to hurt.

Forecast for tommorrow, not that bad, MWIS is more optimistic, but it'll be bloody cold -3 or -4 on the summit ridge and strongish winds so we'll feel it.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/SD.PDF

and

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor...snowdonia.html