Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ras Yr Aran

Re: Ras Yr Aran

The summit, Aran Fawddwy, Has a trig point standing on top of a massive heap of stones. It sounds as though Rodders rambler went only as far as the middle peak, which is about 1km from the summit.
    Yiannis

The summit, Aran Fawddwy, Has a trig point standing on top of a massive heap of stones. It sounds as though Rodders rambler went only as far as the middle peak, which is about 1km from the summit.
    Yiannis

Looking forward to finding out tomorrow
    Just scanned the map again and convinced i got there.The paths leading in the opposite direction from the summit were quite well worn,which makes sense as there are official paths leading from it.The summit i got to had a massive heap of stones (about 20' x 15' ) The top was 2900+ which adds up,the other tops are closer to 2750' and 2830'.
    Winds should be interesting along the ridge.This is a north Wales champ counter,so should be a good turnout.

Really sorrry I won't be there, (have shingles ) as it is my favourite training range of hills - though I come up from the Dinnas Mawddy end. Missed it last year also due to injury, but walked up from the other end to see all the runners coming through.

Hope you all have a good day. The true trig is as described, top of a rough scramble section, you look directly down onto the lake below, vertical drop the lake, so don't overshoot the top .

Expect it to be cold, it does catch the breeze up there.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Rodders Rambler:-
    It's no more 9.5 miles that I am a international sex kitten! Don't know if it's more than 10.5, but it's a bl**ding hard 10.5mile that's for sure. Forecast for tomorrow is hardcore, you know the score!
    Why don't you look me in the eye when when you're talking to me?

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Rodders Rambler:-
    It's no more 9.5 miles that I am a international sex kitten! Don't know if it's more than 10.5, but it's a bl**ding hard 10.5mile that's for sure. Forecast for tomorrow is hardcore, you know the score!
    its snowing here
    just setting off

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Really sorrry I won't be there, (have shingles ) as it is my favourite training range of hills - though I come up from the Dinnas Mawddy end. Missed it last year also due to injury, but walked up from the other end to see all the runners coming through.

Hope you all have a good day. The true trig is as described, top of a rough scramble section, you look directly down onto the lake below, vertical drop the lake, so don't overshoot the top .

Expect it to be cold, it does catch the breeze up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodders rambler View Post

Looking forward to finding out tomorrow
    Just scanned the map again and convinced i got there.The paths leading in the opposite direction from the summit were quite well worn,which makes sense as there are official paths leading from it.The summit i got to had a massive heap of stones (about 20' x 15' ) The top was 2900+ which adds up,the other tops are closer to 2750' and 2830'.
    Winds should be interesting along the ridge.This is a north Wales champ counter,so should be a good turnout.
    You must have got to the summit then. The middle top has not got such a big cairn as you describe. Paths carry on S of the summit.
    Yr Aran is the highest hill in my Meirionnydd round (Cadair Idris, Rhinogs, Arenigs, Arans, Dyfi Forest). Anyone interested? harder than the BG but wild and more remote.
    Yiannis
    PS: In the race today you do not need to visit the two other tops, only the trig.

Yeah agree sounds like the summit to me too, have got the M Round in mind eventually, but having a year of just racing and doing/trying to do the UTMB this year, but will start to visit the area, from what I've seen it looks hard going to say the least.

Had a poor race today - glad they curtailed it at Benlli with the weather as it was.
    I got well dressed to go up to the top (-18 degrees windchill I was told!) but overheated on the way up - by the time I realised that was the reason I wasn't getting going, I thought if I take a layer or two off I'll catch pneumonia cos by that time it was cold!!!

Had fun coming down though - hope to go all the way next year.

Yeah i was the same, over heated but then the temps suddenly dropped about half way up. Didn't feel I had a good run, walked most of the hills, and was blowing snot out the whole way which wasn't too nice. Glad to get a fell run in though.

Pity not to do the full run, but glad of the call as I wasn't feeling great, but understandable anyway. Don't think they had any option with all that ice and strong winds.

Shame i didn't get to find out if my recce was correct.Never mind.I think i followed you all the way up Iain,came past about a third of the way down.Thought it might have been you and was expecting you to be cautious on way down with your arm etc.Had far too much kit on,could have run in shorts,i always seem to overdress.Not a bad habbit i suppose,better than the other way round.Good race,thanks to the marshalls for standing at top in the winds.
    Last edited by Rodders rambler; 22-03-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: thick