Thread: Scaphoid

Scaphoid

Slipped and fell over two weeks ago whilst crossing a stream. Put my hand out and landed heavily on it. Physio friend reckons it's a damaged scaphoid.

It's no better, worse in fact, so am going to strap it up and rest up as much as possible (as much as you can rest the dominant hand).

Loath to go to A&E etc as I'm off on hols in a couple of weeks and don't relish sitting in the med sun with my wrist in plaster. Plus I've entered Borrowdale in August but feel a bit funny about going in for it with a dodgy hand (e.g. struggling to tie my laces!).

What's to do? Anybody else suffer a similar injury?

Re: Scaphoid

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Slipped and fell over two weeks ago whilst crossing a stream. Put my hand out and landed heavily on it. Physio friend reckons it's a damaged scaphoid.

It's no better, worse in fact, so am going to strap it up and rest up as much as possible (as much as you can rest the dominant hand).

Loath to go to A&E etc as I'm off on hols in a couple of weeks and don't relish sitting in the med sun with my wrist in plaster. Plus I've entered Borrowdale in August but feel a bit funny about going in for it with a dodgy hand (e.g. struggling to tie my laces!).

What's to do? Anybody else suffer a similar injury?
    I damaged my scaphoid as a child (put my hand out to stop myself when running towards a wall) and after a week of whining, my mother eventually took me to A&E - and I'm afraid to say I ended up in plaster. It was only for a couple of weeks though - they took it off to check how it was healing and decided not to replace it.

You might do well to get it checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Scowler View Post
    I damaged my scaphoid as a child (put my hand out to stop myself when running towards a wall) and after a week of whining, my mother eventually took me to A&E - and I'm afraid to say I ended up in plaster. It was only for a couple of weeks though - they took it off to check how it was healing and decided not to replace it.

You might do well to get it checked out.
    I know, I know... Scared that they'll plaster me up for 8 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    I know, I know... Scared that they'll plaster me up for 8 weeks!
    Or, more optimistically, it could just be for a couple of weeks. Or not at all.

Broke my scaphoid in 1990. It was a plaster job from palm of hand to elbow - about 6 weeks if I remember correctly. Still, I would get it looked at and if it needs plastering so be it. After all, lots more holidays without plaster ...or possibly lots of joint pain/arthritis later .

I bust mine, seriously you should get it x-rayed asap, if it is broke the sooner you get it in a cast the greater the likelihood of getting a union on a fracture. They have a reverse blood supply so can be a bitch to mend.