Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blakey Blitz

Blakey Blitz

Brilliant new race today on Blakey Ridge. A good mix of terrain, ancient paved ways, bogs, tracks, heather, peat and a cliff! Anybody else do it? Some way tough climbing and to finish with a 600ft climb: out of order!
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Re: Blakey Blitz

I was there! it were a real good race
    Last up to the finish were a killer, but great fun all the same!
    definatly doing it again next year

Yeah, Great race and thanks to Bob Lillie and Dave Parry for organising it - its been a bit of a headache due to land restrictions and farmers. One thing I might add is the possible formation of a new club for the North York Moors area - North East Hill Runners. Bob and dave have information on this.

Thats interesting! North East Hill Runners, is there a website?

Website currently being set up but I think the first organising meeting is on 12th april at Eskdale pub Castleton - but I would need to check those details and get back to you. The reason for the new group is that some but not all members of the fell section of North York Moors are going it alone because of frictions around road/X country and fell and that NYM has lost its way and swung towards road and XC too far - particularly with the installation of the old road manager as club chair. That said I'm still a member of NYMAC but if a significant amount of the fell section go then I will go with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
    Website currently being set up but I think the first organising meeting is on 12th april at Eskdale pub Castleton - but I would need to check those details and get back to you. The reason for the new group is that some but not all members of the fell section of North York Moors are going it alone because of frictions around road/X country and fell and that NYM has lost its way and swung towards road and XC too far - particularly with the installation of the old road manager as club chair. That said I'm still a member of NYMAC but if a significant amount of the fell section go then I will go with them.
    I have to say ,that was one of the best races i have competed in.
    I echo the comments made by an earlier poster regarding Dave Parry and Bob Lillie.
    The NYMAC question is a very interesing one,wasnt the reason behind NYMAC formation because of the same problems members were experiencing with Middlesborough and Cleveland AC?
    There must be a common denominator somewhere.
    Great race all the same.
    PS
    I was running behind some one (Bowland Fell runners ?)
    who seemed to twist his ankle badly ,if you are out there ,how are you ?

Yes, it was the same reason for the formation of NYMAC from Mandale AC in M'bro - that they were sick of supporting track and youth stuff so the road, XC and fell section departed to form NYM but in reality it is now like 4 different clubs who dont run or socialize together (fell, road, ladies, XC - although there is a little bit of crossover) and the fell section have been unhappy for a long time and there have already been some key departures from veteran fell runners for whom UKA is just meaningless. I'm still undecided though so it should be interesting. Its been for quite complex reasons why all of this has come about but frankly personalities are involved as in any club. The only thing I do bemoan is the lack of a great long A race for the North york Moors - a lot of Dave Parry's races are just too short so a lot of the fell section run more of the LDWA events

Myself and three clubmates came across from Leeds and we all enjoyed it.That uphill finish was a bugger though !

Spent a pleasant hour in the Lion Inn afterwards
    Should get across to the NYM more often really.

An excellent race. Thoroughly enjoyed it and thanks a lot to Dave Parry and co for organising it
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

I have to agree with all of the above, Blakey Blitz was one fantastic race, great variety of terrain, personnally I enjoyed the hills, wished I'd done the recky previously as it may have helped at the start (turned around and every one had gone a different way) hey ho thats what makes it so interesting. Dave and co, like everyone else thanks for organising some great racing.