you need to grab a lift I would think - I suggest you tap up your new coach
    done
    Can you get to Darwen gala on the train
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Re: Junior Championship Series

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    done
    Can you get to Darwen gala on the train
    yes - trains run from Manchester through Bolton!

For example ben nevis. 10m/4500ft. I think that any u/18 who wants to compete in a race of this distance should be able to. With parental consent it should be allowed. Because as it is pre-entry you wont get any runner who turns up for the 'laugh' who's never run before. Its just a race i would like to do, and well i would have run it today but cloud cover was low and couldnt be bothered getting all the kit out for it. But its not like it would have been out of my limits to run it.
    Maybe for these races the age should be 'over 16 (u/18's with experience)' Just an idea to get some classic races in.
    And i also wonder, all this modern science i dont think is best. I recall lots of records been held for 20yrs. Fred reeves ambleside, 1970's. Maybe 'old' training is better?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by FellRunner1 View Post
    For example ben nevis. 10m/4500ft. I think that any u/18 who wants to compete in a race of this distance should be able to. With parental consent it should be allowed. Because as it is pre-entry you wont get any runner who turns up for the 'laugh' who's never run before. Its just a race i would like to do, and well i would have run it today but cloud cover was low and couldnt be bothered getting all the kit out for it. But its not like it would have been out of my limits to run it.
    Maybe for these races the age should be 'over 16 (u/18's with experience)' Just an idea to get some classic races in.
    And i also wonder, all this modern science i dont think is best. I recall lots of records been held for 20yrs. Fred reeves ambleside, 1970's. Maybe 'old' training is better?
    And Snowdon. A good rule of thumb would be. Navigation required- over 18. marked-Over 16. Then races like Stuc a Chroin would be available for over 16s as well.
    You speak a lot of sense Tom.
    But what i dont understand is events such as the dovedale dipper 26 miles 4000ft are over 16 as is the Wuthering Hike at 33 miles. If the LDWA allow runners of 16 to do their events why dont the fra allow us to do marked courses

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    And Snowdon. A good rule of thumb would be. Navigation required- over 18. marked-Over 16. Then races like Stuc a Chroin would be available for over 16s as well.
    You speak a lot of sense Tom.
    But what i dont understand is events such as the dovedale dipper 26 miles 4000ft are over 16 as is the Wuthering Hike at 33 miles. If the LDWA allow runners of 16 to do their events why dont the fra allow us to do marked courses
    I'm not sure on this but is snowdon a marked course? because even if it wasnt i would very much doubt you could get lost on the main walking track. Its like the M62 up there!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by FellRunner1 View Post
    I'm not sure on this but is snowdon a marked course? because even if it wasnt i would very much doubt you could get lost on the main walking track. Its like the M62 up there!
    Yep all marked.

Master

Any adults responses to this

I'll try not to repeat my previous posts on the subject of juniors in senior/longer races.
    While no one would wish to dampen enthusiasm, if anything it should be encouraged, most of the arguments seem to be made from a personal point of view and perceived ability. Wanting and being able to compete is not the same as being able to complete. Unfortunately, exceptions never make for good rules. Someone always wants to push the limits, e.g my previous example of parents becoming abusive at a senior race because the organiser would not accept junior entries. So, neither in my opinion does parental consent necessarily help the situation. In 15 or so years watching junior running, I have seen 2 or 3 'pushy parents' trying to live out their own aspirations through their children - very unpleasant. Someone has to take responsibility, and that means for all junior runners, with one set of definitive rules.

Re the LDWA, I suggest the clue is in their title; Long Distance WALKERS Association. While they accept entries to their challenges from joggers and runners, they are not controlled as far as I know by UK Athletics. Any comparison is irrelevant.

As CCR has observed, the objective should be to run for many years to come, not burn out or suffer serious injury in the short term. So as I keep suggesting, patience and planning for O18 is probably the only way forward. It won't be long before you can enter all manner of events.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

To add to what Felljunior as said, I'm in a position of race organiser (Darwen), coach to all the Blackburn Harrier junior fell runners, parent (to Beckie Taylor) and also a fell runner myself.

That should mean I have a reasonable perspective on things.

I do think there are ways we can improve. For example that U18s seem to do the U16 race at each FRA event.
    The Viking Chase is different. It also perhaps pushes out the maximum distances slightly over what they should for each age group - some of the U18s were over 50 minutes last year.

Perhaps one or two of the other races should push the U18s up to the 6 mile mark - but then Lecky has set up a junior committee and you can lobby that committee and shape the future structure of the Champs.

One thing to be wary of though is numbers. It's not much of a race when 8 Boys and 4 girls set off for an U18 race at Ambleside on their own and clearly running with U16s gives them more the feel of a competitive race.

Clearly though the Champs is pretty good - attendance is up and junior fell running is growing.

But there are lots of "Senior" fell races that allow juniors to to take part at 14 and particularly from the age of 16.
    I've had WPette running in one or two of these from 14. She's done Aggies Staircase (AS) for the last 2 years, Darwen Gala last year, Paddy's Pole this year.

One point to note - Paddy's Pole was for a 16 year old, but the race organiser allowed her to run as she could demonstrate that she was fine to take on such a race.

So don't be frightened to ask an organiser if they would let you in slightly under age - they may do so - and I imagine it depends on your level and experience and the race in question and if your parent or coach will sign for you.

Just go through the calendar and tick off the senior races that you can do - and you may find that you have quite a selection to go at.

Same from 18.

Why do they need to be Championship races?

Do the recces, build up.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    To add to what Felljunior as said, I'm in a position of race organiser (Darwen), coach to all the Blackburn Harrier junior fell runners, parent (to Beckie Taylor) and also a fell runner myself.

That should mean I have a reasonable perspective on things.

I do think there are ways we can improve. For example that U18s seem to do the U16 race at each FRA event.
    The Viking Chase is different. It also perhaps pushes out the maximum distances slightly over what they should for each age group - some of the U18s were over 50 minutes last year.

Perhaps one or two of the other races should push the U18s up to the 6 mile mark - but then Lecky has set up a junior committee and you can lobby that committee and shape the future structure of the Champs.

One thing to be wary of though is numbers. It's not much of a race when 8 Boys and 4 girls set off for an U18 race at Ambleside on their own and clearly running with U16s gives them more the feel of a competitive race.

Clearly though the Champs is pretty good - attendance is up and junior fell running is growing.

But there are lots of "Senior" fell races that allow juniors to to take part at 14 and particularly from the age of 16.
    I've had WPette running in one or two of these from 14. She's done Aggies Staircase (AS) for the last 2 years, Darwen Gala last year, Paddy's Pole this year.

One point to note - Paddy's Pole was for a 16 year old, but the race organiser allowed her to run as she could demonstrate that she was fine to take on such a race.

So don't be frightened to ask an organiser if they would let you in slightly under age - they may do so - and I imagine it depends on your level and experience and the race in question and if your parent or coach will sign for you.

Just go through the calendar and tick off the senior races that you can do - and you may find that you have quite a selection to go at.

Same from 18.

Why do they need to be Championship races?

Do the recces, build up.
    well ill be doing scafell this year with no doubt
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.