Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to live around W. Yorks

Re: Where to live around W. Yo

Quote Originally Posted by A.G's Missus View Post
    Getting this thread back on track...

A G hasn't mentioned my needs! Need to be near Hebden because I'm a bit of a hippy and want to do all the social stuff (poetry readings, books, films, art etc...). Andy isn't going to be leaving Rossendale Harriers but can train with other clubs.

So, does anyone know of cheap (but nice) areas? Also, anyone living in Hebden who could guide me in the above?

A.G's Missus xxx
    Hebden's got everything that a "tree-hugger" could want... poetry recitals, craft shops, lesbian-friendly clubs, arthouse cinema and vegan cafes etc... It's not all idyllic all the time, as it can be a bit chavish at night in some of the town centre pubs.
    Heptonstall and Old Town sit above Hebden and there's some lovely villages going out of Hebden near Mytholmroyd - Booth, Luddenden, Midgeley - but cheap they aint and they're not as lively as being in Hebden. Mytholmroyd's got some rough areas, but if you got a spot in Cragg Vale then that's a great place to be based. AG would have a fair commute to Bingley if you settled in any of those areas. Oxenhope would be a good place in that respect, but its a car ride away from Hebden and, again, it's not as lively as HB. All the places i've mentioned would give you (or AG) very quick access on to the moors, fantastic scenery and great running.
    As for training, CVFR are based in Mytholmroyd: billj, stringman, weetabix power, gaz, gaz77 and me are all CVFR members. There's Tod Harriers down the road as well but why would AG want to go there when there's CVFR?
    Last edited by crowhill; 24-03-2007 at 02:28 PM.

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

well represented crowhill

Banned

Hebden has some interesting 'Up and Over ' properties.
    Try Anthony J Turner, Estate Agents in Hebden and/or Search Google for similar.

FellMonster

Hey, AG....thats where my missus wants us to relocate to come September. maybe see you there.

Smile Re: Where to live around W. Yo

Quote Originally Posted by crowhill View Post
    There's Tod Harriers down the road as well but why would AG want to go there when there's CVFR?
    I could give you lots of reasons in a friendly club rivalry sort of way!

You're welcome to run with todmorden Harriers AG or AG's missus - no need to join if you're already members of Rossendale - come and run / train with us whenever you like - all abilities catered for. Some of our lads and lassies train with Rossendale on your Tuesday night sessions. Our Speedwork sessions also on Tuesdays and sociable packruns on Wednesdays and numerous Sundays - all from local pubs. (except the speedwork!) See www.todharriers.co.uk for more details or give Batman's missus Mandy a call if you fancy a run or if you need any more info on Hebden area - she's lived in Hebden for 25 years. (01422 844936)

easy to make Bingley from HB. Nice drive over the aforementioned moors. I wouldn't like to be much further away from Cleckheaton though - somewhere like Oxenhope and you're looking at a fairly tricky drive either across Bradford/Halifax or cutting through somehow.
    Don't underestimate how long it takes to get anywhere in WY in rush hours - it's a bloody nightmare!

Hebden is nice, with the great CVFR and Tod at either end of the valley.
    Overdwellings go from between £160k - £200k and underdwellings about 90k - 130k? Not sure about the compatibility with teachers wages?
    Tod is allegedly up and coming, with cheaper prices.
    HB full of Guardian reading do gooding teachers and social workers.....and some of us non do gooding non Guardian reading self-employed of course.
    All areas nearby to Tod, HB and Mytholmroyd have loads of footpaths and bridalways.
    There is a chav problem Fri/Sat in HB but I guess you would probably not frequent the chav fizz pubs, instead sample the wonderful Fox and Goose, Trades Club, Stubbing Wharfe, etc etc!
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Banned

Sowerby Bridge end of the valley is better for commuting as it easier to get to both Bingley and Clecheaton.
    So King Cross, Warley, Pye Nest, Highroad Well would all be worth considering.
    As well as the 2 Clader Valley clubs (inc Todmorden) there is also Halifax Harriers and Stainland Lions and there is the brand new track at spring hall opening in April 2007.
    I hope it all goes well AG and Mrs AG and you find the right location.
    All the best Stagger

Haworth is good for running off road, particularly this time of year. Easy access to Bfd/Leeds as well as Burnley/Colne/M'cr.
    Last edited by Anorak; 26-03-2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: 'we deny all knowledge'
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

From a commuting point of view you could look at Southowram or Shelf -plus there's plenty of hills and footpaths aroung there.