Thread: White Peak Marathon

White Peak Marathon

Hi all,

Thinking of doing the White Peak, May 19th, this will be my first ever marathon, anyone done this event before?

al

Re: White Peak Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by alans220 View Post
    Hi all,

Thinking of doing the White Peak, May 19th, this will be my first ever marathon, anyone done this event before?

al

I've done the 1/2.

Both the full and the 1/2 register at Matlock Rugby Club, Cromford Meadows which is also the finish of the race.

You are bused out to your respective start.

Both the 1/2 and the full are over firm compact limestone and cinder surfaces of a former railway line.

As for the route, the 1/2 which is also the last 13.1 miles of the full undulates along the tops of the dales for the first 8 miles or so, then descends in three stages, at 7, 8½ and 10½ miles down to the Cromford Canal.

I did the 1/2 in 2003 (the first time i met Manhar) and it was a 'really' hot day and i distinctly remember how glad i was when i turned left along the towpath to the finish.

I reckon though given the right conditions this course definitely has the potential for fast times and pb's.

Hope that helps
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Re: White Peak Marathon

I've done some of it on the Dovedale Dipper but know the trails well. If it's sunny it's very dry and hot and sunglasses are a good idea cos of the glare. Fancy doing it myself. If in the area, visit the Bookshop in Cromford, Scarthin Books , on Scarthin(lane by mill pond) good selection and nice coffee shop at the top.Walking/outdoor/running books are near the coffee shop at the top of the stairs.