Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another novice..

Re: Another novice..

Quote Originally Posted by FruityPebble View Post
    Thanks Merryleggs, i need all the luck i can get, 35lbs in a ruck sack is like 1/3 of my body weight and after about 8 miles i start to flag! eak!

Hannah
    Advice i had on my first battle march was "No matter how knackered you are, just keep putting one foot in front of the other, all other thoughts don't matter" Simple as that, you've only 2 miles of flagging then your done, you'll be fine
    Hills and Guinness!

ZootHornRollo - Thank you! 10 Miles on the road is no problem so long as im wearing trainers and sans 35lb on my back so hopefully i would manage the 6 miles in the hills, i better get going and try it!

With regard to the orienteering bit, i did do some years ago when i was back at school but nothing since, the closest i have come is reading a road map (i passionately dislike sat nav!) Did you have plenty of orienteering experience before you got involved ? i think i might go and google orienteering courses, try and give myself a good starting point. I also think it would be quite nice to join a club and go out with a group of more experienced runners so i can learn, hence coming on this site really

The leg strenght thing could be an issue, i tried gradient training on a treadmill in the gym but it was a bit pathetic, it was a bit of a walk in the park and it felt like the treadmill was doing all the work for me so i swiftly gave up on that. I shall just have to do shuttles up and down the hill we have here.

Merrylegs - your first?? how many have you done? i plan on doing this just the once, it was a dare and if someone says i can't then i damn well can and will and i'll do it in a faster time than the person who dared me too!! ..not that i'm over competitve you understand

Hannah

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

ZootHornRollo - Thank you! 10 Miles on the road is no problem so long as im wearing trainers and sans 35lb on my back so hopefully i would manage the 6 miles in the hills, i better get going and try it!

The leg strenght thing could be an issue, i tried gradient training on a treadmill in the gym but it was a bit pathetic, it was a bit of a walk in the park and it felt like the treadmill was doing all the work for me so i swiftly gave up on that. I shall just have to do shuttles up and down the hill we have here.
    Hannah,

Distance wise it sounds like you could certainly do a shorter race no problems. When I did my first fell race, I was running similar patterns to you: frequent low mileage (3-4.5mi during the week, 1 or 2 hill-sprint sessions in there for speed, 10+ at weekends), and like you, with weight on on a few occasions.

Tried my hand at a short fell race (c3.5mi) and loved it. Didn't disgrace myself, but it did illustrate the difference to running on the road: the muscles and ligaments used (parts of me in agony the next day that I'd never previously even thought about, e.g. tendons on the soles of my feet) and the importance of technique.

Due to my cardio fitness from the road, I was able to pass quite a few on the up (in longer races with bigger, steeper climbs this is less of a benefit than specific muscle strength/endurance), but downhill was another matter. I spent most of my time on my bum and moved quite cautiously, while everyone else flew past me!

Was bitten by the bug though!

Good luck.
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 04-08-2009 at 10:20 AM.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Super Moderator

Red face Re: Another novice..

There's much more to being in a running club that training with more experienced runners; it offers all kinds of social opportunities plus chance to get involved in relays etc.

Softie makes a good point re being reasonably fit but established fellrunners passing you downhill or on rough ground, especially when you're starting out

My advice is try out a few different clubs to find one that suits you, try a 3-5mile race and bear in mind fellrunning is one of the most inclusive sports around. This forum illustrated that where there are some amazing athletes mixing with socials runners, back of backsers (like me!) and non-runners too
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Cool! i feel fully gee'd up enough to give a short race a bash now! thanks Guys!

Hannah

Merrylegs - your first?? how many have you done? i plan on doing this just the once, it was a dare and if someone says i can't then i damn well can and will and i'll do it in a faster time than the person who dared me too!! ..not that i'm over competitve you understand
    Done quite a few in my youth with the TA Parachute Reg
    Hills and Guinness!

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    Done quite a few in my youth with the TA Parachute Reg
    He was just to old for the 1914 - 18 war!

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    He was just to old for the 1914 - 18 war!
    Ageing is something i'll leave to you, i shall remain ever young and pickled
    Hills and Guinness!

Cool! i feel fully gee'd up enough to give a short race a bash now! thanks Guys!

Hannah
    one to look out for next year is the Elstead Marathon. Short run not too far from you I think. A friend of mine organises it. Good river crossing near the end

http://www.elstead.org.uk/events/marathon.htm

Did you have plenty of orienteering experience before you got involved ? i think i might go and google orienteering courses, try and give myself a good starting point. I also think it would be quite nice to join a club and go out with a group of more experienced runners so i can learn, hence coming on this site really
    Not orienteering, just lots of hill-walking in crap weather in the Lakes!

It's a topic of debate is the navigation thing - all fell-runners should be good navigators, but I'm probably not as good as I should be, and there's probably a fair few others who rely a bit too much on following the people in front.

No one ever wants to stop and get their map and compass out really, cos you're losing time and it always seems easier just to keep going. I think what's important is having 'mountain sense', having a good mental picture of the route beforehand, and knowing when and how to get down if you and / or the weather are in bad shape.

I can vouch for the fact that short, intense hill sessions are superb even in training for long races. I just did Borrowdale, and I swear the best thing I did was 30 minute sessions sprinting up the 8 storeys of stairs at work.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 06-08-2009 at 10:29 AM.