Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L2b

L2b

Wow what a day, blue sky, sun, nice cool breeze, great conditions, fab race. Yes I know the route is a bit contrived at times but its a point to point beauty with a beast of a final climb and a gird your loins slog to the finish from the top of the Blorenge, no good for fancy dan downhill speed merchants, much better for the dogs of the field!
    A cracking pace from Mark Palmer from the start meant that all 46 starters were strung out from the off with ridiculously fast splits recorded by the front runners throughout. Mark was chased hard by Martin Humphreys, finishing only 4 mins ahead in 2.06, Mark finishing in a time 5 mins faster than his winning time of last year. Zlod(Martin Beale) was 4th in 2.18. Me, 14th in 2.39, 3rd Vet,(excluding Mark Palmer of course, he doesn't count, too good!), a huge improvement on last years effort. Cruised it, even the Blorenge Wheeze, even minus the love handles would have been toast No other regular forumites out today.
    Big spread in the rugby club afterwards and couple of pints of best to celebrate, a good day. Many thanks from Gareth to Chris and JJ for the safe return of the trophy from last year. Gonna creak around the house I reckon tonight. Hmmm, which reminds me, Dragons Back.....its only about 10 of those

Re: L2b

Hi Toffer. What is L2b please?

The race is from Llanbedr to Blaenavon.

Teenage textspeak has shortened this to L2B.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Blimey, that's serious racing Toffer. Hope you're not planning on keeping that speed up on the DB .
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Indeed a fine race - and a superb day. I almost managed to claim Toffers third vet prize except I'm 3 months too young still! Congratulations to Mark who ran a blinder and a big thanks to Garth and clan for organising.
    Last edited by dungbeetle; 25-03-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Really tight calves today. I blame the road bit. Hobbling around like a hobbling thing, not good

I just thought that was a brilliant race. Conditions were absolutely fantastic. The Beacons just looked amazing on Saturday, especially Pen Cerrig Calch on the run across to checkpoint 3 on Sugar Loaf.

The race was really well organised and executed. There were loads of marshalls who were all cheery and supportive (in the spring sunshine), necessary bits were flagged, there were food and drinks stations (ready for the climb up Blorenge). I saw Gareth 3 times on the way round cheering on the runners in his race - does he drive a Maserati?

The one thing I'd disagree with Toffer is that it is a contrived course. It takes in three great hills, two of which really define the region (Sugar Loaf and Blorenge) and the third of which (Crug Mawr) just has a magical rollercoaster type descent. To me, the valley sections just add character to the race. There are plenty of races with much more arbitrary lines.

I thought the Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains races were good, but the Llanbedr-Blaenavon was better: best race of the year so far for me.

Good to see Mark Palmer on form again. An excellent run from Martin Humphreys too: apparently he was just 100m behind at Llanfoist.

Good too see you at the race Toffer: you looked strong at the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlod View Post
    I saw Gareth 3 times on the way round cheering on the runners in his race - does he drive a Maserati?
    Nope - but he does drive fast.... Gareth is a close friend of my father. I remember as a youth, when he tended to drive Golf Gti's, praying in the back as he merrily drove along country lanes. I believe he's a bit calmer these days

Thanks Zlod, felt really good. Bodes well for the hard work ahead I hope!
    The thing about the route is that some years ago we used to take a direct line straight down the open fell(nice and rough) from Crug Mawr heading directly for the top of SL, crossing the valley 1 km or so east of where we come out now. Then it was a steep haul straight up the northern flank of SL. With all the tracky bits and road that came after I thought this provided a perfect mix. However access problems with the farm meant that the route had to change to its current configuration.
    Anyway, its still a brilliant race. Thanks again to Gareth and the team for a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by dungbeetle View Post
    Nope - but he does drive fast.... Gareth is a close friend of my father. I remember as a youth, when he tended to drive Golf Gti's, praying in the back as he merrily drove along country lanes. I believe he's a bit calmer these days
    Aha... I've just worked out who dungbeetle is!

I'm glad you all enjoyed the race. I was thinking of you while freezing my 'nads off in church at my wife's cousin's wedding!

Rhys