Thread: Pre-Entry Only/Racer number limits

Pre-Entry Only/Racer number limits

Hi 1st time poster, so apologies if this is covered but I couldn't find anything via searches.

In a post covid world, will fell races go back to accepting on the day entries?

I like the idea of pre-registering along with on the day in the ideal world, but if you don't know the event is on sale the race is sold out before you even know about it!

1 of my favourite races recently had a race limit of just 110 with 30 on the waiting list, and another that doesn't take place until next year sold it's 1st release out in minutes. We all know people sign up for races and can't then make it for various reasons and these places go unused.......

I've participated in a few races that have had both options recently, and some with only entry on day.

Doubt it will ever become "the norm" again though.

I agree - it's here to stay. I always check these days, and there are some local races I avoid because of it.

Having said that, there are still many races with the option to enter on the day. I think it's mainly the high-profile ones that would be in danger of reaching their race limits, that have pre-entry out of necessity.

I just went on the fellrunner site, and had to click on about 8 races before I found one that was pre-entry only.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I'm happy to do the pre-entry. I think the nearest fell race to me is probably an hour's drive so I'm unlikely to risk EOD if there's a chance that the race limit could be reached.
    Anyway, I'm sure ROs would prefer to know numbers in advance for planning purposes so helps them out too.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Covid related restrictions will probably go as soon as the virus itself is wiped out.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I'm happy with whatever the RO prefers but if a race is pre-entry it's helpful if there's a) a waiting list, and b) some info on the entry site about the status of it. So if 50 people are on a waiting list I might not bother adding my name to it. And we can all help by only entering races we really intend to do, not taking up places in a race we think we might do if it's a nice day.Ive heard people say they have given up entries because the forecast is bad and they aren't confident about finding their way round in the conditions. I'd much rather they withdrew than got in to difficulties but a better option would be to gain the skills and experience to get round regardless and only enter once that's the case.

I've done both with my events.
    Pre-Entry saves a lot of time, hassle and manpower at registration.
    It then also saves time getting the results out.
    That convenience made no difference to a 50 runner evening race I used to host, but for a 150+ runner event it makes a huge difference.
    I think online pre-entry was well ensconced before Covid and it's only going to get more common.

One thing I would add is that ROs should be able to show a little flexibility. A road race with limit 1500 I've been involved with, used to accept more than 1500 entries, because there's a track record of 10-15% no-shows.
    It never went over the 1500.
    That was allowed under the UKA permit.

So if a fell race was limit 200, they should be able to accept 220 entries. It shouldn't be super-critical to the event whether there was 180, 200, or 200 runners. It's more of an informal assessment, unless a landowner of body has stipulated a max limit.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I think some ROs do take anticipated drop outs in to consideration when accepting entries. Although the limit might technically be (say) 250 and they could cope with that number if by some miracle everyone turned up I think they anticipate and might be happier coping with smaller numbers.