Thread: Calf injury - what is it?

Calf injury - what is it?

Now I'm no stranger to tweaking a calf muscle. Done it plenty of times, managed it carefully and got back to running in due course. But, almost without exception, when I've had a calf injury, I've had to be careful not to put the calf into stretch, because that aggravates it.

And then I got a calf injury last weekend about 7 miles into a 13 mile run, on a hard landrover track, which seemed to be worse on the downhills and flat than the ups. I shuffled back, with the pain less if I kept the knee locked, suggesting to me it could be in the soleus.

However, since then, I can't feel it at all if I put it into stretch. But I can feel what feels like bruising across the calf, probably a couple of inches above the achilles, quite central but radiating out. And I can feel it when I'm walking downhill or when I put the foot into plantarflexion. To that extent, it almost feels like a "compression" injury rather than a stretch one, if that makes sense.

Any thoughts? No real problems before this, apart from a very slight achilles niggle after an 11-miler the week before, but nothing to write home about.

Edit: And, just to add, although it all felt sore earlier in the week, I can rise up on my toes without difficulty right now, and without any noticeable pain.
    Last edited by Mr1470; 21-03-2014 at 07:55 PM.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Hi Mr1470 - I've had calf pain that may be a bit similar to yours. I've picked it up in similar circumstances and particularly when getting back into training after a bit of a break and perhaps pushing a bit too hard. I've found that the solution is a programme of stretches and self-massage with tennis ball. Also good compression socks (to wear when not running) seem to help.

Did you see this: http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/body-map/calf/

I found it helpful. Hope you get it sorted

Thanks ever so much for that. Maybe you're right about pushing too hard, although I've been very careful in slowly upping my mileage again. However, the week before, I had got carried away on my 12-miler and ran the last 3-4 miles relatively fast. Maybe that was the catalyst? The other thing I'm considering (and which is always worth considering in such circumstances) is change of footwear. I've been wearing my More Miles all the time, and the raised heel (compared to Walsh or Inov8s) may be the cause. That would make a lot of sense with that "compression" feeling.

Thanks for the link, I'm particularly interested in the k-tape videos. I'd bought myself some a while back and not got around to really exploring its application, so I'll take some time and give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by philbrynmaen View Post
    Hi Mr1470 - I've had calf pain that may be a bit similar to yours. I've picked it up in similar circumstances and particularly when getting back into training after a bit of a break and perhaps pushing a bit too hard. I've found that the solution is a programme of stretches and self-massage with tennis ball. Also good compression socks (to wear when not running) seem to help.

Did you see this: http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/body-map/calf/

I found it helpful. Hope you get it sorted

blog

Master
    Within weeks of moving to the Lakes I had pulled one calf and then a few weeks later the other - sudden cramp like discomfort mid-calf mid-run - indeed I initially thought it was cramp that for some reason failed to settle. In retrospect I put it down to moving from running mainly in 12 mm and 9 mm drop shoes - Nike Pegasus and Roclite 315s - to running in Mudclaws with a 6 mm drop. I did not stop running, but just pushed off from my heels for a while, and did heel drops on the stairs. It has all settled now. When living in Suffolk I did hill reps several times per week - but on road - so I do not think it is the change in terrain.

Could be the case about different shoes? I'm convinced the solution is maintaining flexibility in all the components (hamstrings, ankle etc.) I noticed when doing a self-evaluation of my joint mobility I seem fairly flexible in most areas but not so in the ankle. I get pain in the soleus area - so am really focusing on some of the bent-leg stretches. The link I found for the self-evaluation is:

http://archive.aweber.com/ata1/1Chpg...wsletter_1.htm

Quite a long article but information I found helpful

Thanks both, much appreciated. Well, I taped up and headed out for a very easy trot, walking all but the easiest hills. Difficult to say what the effect of the tape is, but no real effects from the run, so that's good. If anything, I could again feel it slightly on the downhill, with the compression and "bounce back" of the achilles.

Mike - that's exactly it, it felt like cramp at first, and with it coming on so far into a run, I thought maybe my nutrition or hydration was off. If it wasn't for the fact that I continued to feel the pain, I'd have put it down to that. I suspect I had the opposite to you, moving to a shoe with a heel. When I think about it, I believe I've tweaked the achilles before when going back into road or cushioned trail shoes. It seems my feet like to be close to the ground.

Phil - I think you're right about overall flexibility. What I have had in that leg recently, is some tightness in the hamstring. This may well be a case of shifting emphasis down into the calf/achilles. I'll have a good look at that self-evaluation.

blog

Interesting to read your thoughts Mr1470. It could be that we each have a slightly different condition however there are some similarities. I get the calf pain when starting back into running after a bit of a break over the dark months of December/January. The pattern seems to be that it happens on the road and only with road running trainers and when tempted to push the pace, usually 30 to 40 minutes into the run. Each of the last few years it's taken longer and longer to settle down but with rest, stretching and very gently running I've managed to get through it with time to get into shape for the RAB and OMM. Really hope it will work this time too. But it is sooo frustrating with the weather improving and daylight hours longer. Just want to run!

Master
    I can remember reading somewhere that twice a year, when the clocks change, physios see a sudden increase in calf and Achilles injuries - presumably in Autumn it is due to the sudden increase in running on hard surfaces, whereas in Spring it is due to changing to shoes with lower heels - same injury, different causes.