Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Fibula

Broken Fibula

Having survived Borrowdale (just) the week before managed to break my fibula on Saturday on a family walk up Wansfell (messing around encouraging my son to go downhill- slipped and there you go).

Broke just above the ankle but consultant says hopefully no need to operate and looking at 6-8 weeks in a cast - anyone got any experiences/advice about the road to recovery they are willing to share?

Cheers

Re: Broken Fibula

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Rocs View Post
    Having survived Borrowdale (just) the week before managed to break my fibula on Saturday on a family walk up Wansfell (messing around encouraging my son to go downhill- slipped and there you go).

Broke just above the ankle but consultant says hopefully no need to operate and looking at 6-8 weeks in a cast - anyone got any experiences/advice about the road to recovery they are willing to share?

Cheers
    sorry to hear that Mudrock. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Given you are called mudrock and you slipped I was wondering what you had on your feet....

Super Moderator

Sorry, no experience to share but good luck for a quick return to fitness
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks for your support as to the shoes it wasn't the Mud Claws I ran round Borrowdale in .... pair of Salomon XA Pro...can confirm not ideal on wet grass!

Oh no! hope you recover well - and lad is not too traumatized!!

I'm sorry to hear about your injury Mud rocs. I broke my left fibula in 2003. It wasn't bad enough to need surgery: I had six weeks in a cast, the first few weeks not weight-bearing, then gently increasing the load.

When I got out of the cast my leg looked a bit thin and wasted (with long freaky leg hairs like plants that have been kept in the dark!) and I had some fluid retention below the ankle, which spread to the rest of my foot after a long day on my feet. I continued to use the crutches for another week or two, and also had a thing called an air cast brace - a sort of inflatable support that looked like two sanitary towels held together with velcro! I had NHS physiotherapy for a month or two and could run short distances on soft grass within three weeks, perhaps a month, of getting the cast off.

In the longer term, it took several months to recover the full range of movement in the ankle and the foot swelling happened occasionally for over six months. For maybe a year afterwards my ankle would sometimes hurt when I woke up in the morning, I think probably due to lying in one position all night.

I made a point of going out for a mile or so walk every day on the crutches which is hard aerobic work (get some cycling gloves if you don't already have them) so think I ended up fitter from a cardiovascular point of view than I was before. I broke the bone in November then got my best ever half marathon time in May

Six years later I never think about it at all and have no lasting effects: I hope your recovery goes the same way!
    Last edited by Muddy; 13-08-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks Muddy - inspirational positive story - walked about half a mile on the crutches yesterday - felt like I'd been out on the hills for a couple of hours at the end!

Think I'll aim for a daily work-out to keep some fitness going

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Rocs View Post
    Thanks Muddy - inspirational positive story - walked about half a mile on the crutches yesterday - felt like I'd been out on the hills for a couple of hours at the end!

Think I'll aim for a daily work-out to keep some fitness going

Cheers
    Just a thought, When I tore my ankle ligaments I went to the Gym and worked on my CV muscles/fitness by using those hand crank machines(like a bike upside down) Low resistance high revs but work up slowly doing Sets of reps

I should add, when I said I could run short distances within a month of getting the cast off I meant a mile or so, not a five miler . But you can keep up the fitness pretty easily while you're laid up with some good crutch walks, then you're ready to go as soon as your leg feels up to it.

Walking on crutches is fantastic for toning your arms and getting rid of bingo wings too!

Keep us posted on your recovery, all the best

Thanks for the advice guys - think need to get to the gym and get some regular crutch walks - another positive is the 'other leg' is getting loads of exercise as well