Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Fibula

Re: Broken Fibula

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Rocs View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys - think need to get to the gym and get some regular crutch walks - another positive is the 'other leg' is getting loads of exercise as well
    don't worry you'll be running round in circles in no time (even if you don't mean to)

broke my fibula right at the base. six weeks in a plaster.felt good after 1 1/2 weeks out of plaster but tripped and tried not going down on bad leg only to go over on other ankle tearing the ligaments and tendon of the other ankle 3 1/2 months after the original break i have still not been able to run and the one i broke still hurts although this might be because of the extra work it had to do after damaging my other ankle. i started cycling again yesterday so things are looking up. hope you have a speedier recovery.
    slow upfast down

Blimey Fellboy sounds like you've really been through it - hope your recovery goes well after all that.

Smile Re: Broken Fibula

at last, i managed a three mile jog last night for the first time since breaking my ankle may 9th. after a few weeks cycling and a week on the stepper down the gym the ankles feel strong but i am still feeling pain from the impact of running the first mile probably the worst actually feeling less pain at the end of the run than the beginning probably because the joint being loosened up and warm. feeling a bit sore this morning but things are looking up. i am looking at the worcester beacon race next month as a target to at least enter.it seems to hurt running on the flat more than running up or downhill.
    slow upfast down

Have you tried a wobble board for strengthening up muscles, ligaments and tendons around the ankle?
    Worth a shot.

Good news Fellboy pleased to hear you on making progress - still hanging in there cast off a week on Monday - the rubber on the bottom of crutches wears out faster than fell shoes!

I've just come across this thread - I had a bone-graft taken from my right fibula at the end of July. My leg was in plaster for 6 weeks. Obviously it isn't the same as a break, but I'm interested in how your recovery goes. I've been doing quite a bit of low-impact stuff in the gym and I've just started a bit of running again. My ankle is quite weak and I'm getting pain at the front of my shin. I'm seeing a physio regularly who is a bit worried about the lateral movement caused by uneven surfaces when fell-running . Reckons I'll be OK long-term however. Whole thing is very frustrating!

Had the cast removed a couple of weeks ago now - just been swimming so far - but it does feel stronger day by day - limp now gone.
    Pleasantly surprised by how good it feels but can tell not ready to try running yet so expect it will be a couple of weeks at least before I put it to a gentle test.

still not running. had a bit of a bad reaction to running about a month ago, a bit too early i think. ankles are feeling strong.i can lift all the weights i was lifting prior to the break with no problems. i have no worries about going over on it but the impact of running has felt like being hit with two hammers on the outsides of the ankles. but saying that tonight i did a ten minute run on the treadmill to warm up to do a wieghts session and they felt the best they have felt since may. i will try another run this weekend but i am not up to entering the worcestershire beacon this saturday.my next target races to aim for are mortimer forrest and cardington cracker in december.
    slow upfast down

It is so nice to come across a running forum about broken ankles... I broke my ankle (fractured fibula) 3 weeks ago when I fell off my mountain bike. I think I may have sprained it when I was doing a night run on Arthurs Seat a few days earlier as it was bruised and swollen the following day so I only have myself to blame! I broke it on the Saturday and on the Monday I went back into the hospital to get a new plaster and they told me I could fully weight bear on it and that I did not need surgery which is good news. I have been walking as much as I can on it (I definitely agree with comments regarding crutches being good for fitness and strength building!) and I have been going to the gym to do upper body weights and using the rowing machine without my legs which is boring but want to keep up fitness as much as possible.

I am getting my plaster off on the 21st of December and hopefully it will be staying off but I wondered how your recovery has been since breaking your ankle? I had to cancel a weeks holiday to Spain mountain biking and I am also going to the Lakes for a week at the end of December. I had been hoping to run in the hills when down there but obviously that isn't going to happen now - do you think after 10 days out of the plaster I will be able to walk on uneven surfaces i.e. trails/paths although not necessarily up in the fells?

Sorry for long e-mail but I am really worried about getting back to full fitness!