Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Fibula

Re: Broken Fibula

3 weeks ago it felt good enough to run on so i did 40 mins on the tread mill and it felt ok, not perfect but runable. but the next morning i could hardly get out of bed. so i left it until 2 nights ago and tried again but this time limited it to 20 mins which felt fine, but tried another 20 last night and had to stop after 5 mins. the problem doesn't come from the break though because i had severe ligament damage as well. another target of the cardington cracker and mortimer forrest will be missed so the next target will have to be the new year, good riddence to 2009
    slow upfast down

Kim,

Since having the plaster off on the 21st Sept could walk on it straight away but only tried short walks about a mile or so, did some swimming for the first few weeks and visited the gym, building up to first run middle of October started with a mile - so basically running again in 4 weeks. I think it's best to be careful though and rest with foot raised after exercise.
    Since then gone pretty well managed first race last week about 11 miles off-road and flat, however, racing definitely gave me more of a reaction than training with the extra effort and speed involved. I find off-road running much easier and my ankle feels it more when going uphill.

In terms of your situation I think you need to realistic - if you try long hill walks your leg will soon complain the day after I would imagine - best to try shorter walks (an hour or so) and rest leg afterwards would be my advice.

Fellboy - keep at it I'm sure you 'll get there - are you doing any swimming or cycling?

Thanks for your messages.

Fellboy - I am sure 2010 will be a better year for you, good luck with it!

Mud Roc - your injury sounds very similar to mine so it is encouraging to hear that you managed to do a race last week! I am going to see a physio after I get my plaster off and he said that a massage might help to break down some of the scar tissue, I have also ordered some isometric DVDs and I plan to do most of my sessions in the gym before I even venture outside for some running. Your idea of walking an hour a day sounds sensible as I keep forgetting how weak my muscles are going to be even if broken ankle has healed up!

I am hoping to do the Swiss Alpine marathon next year and registration doesn't open until February which should give me enough time to decide whether the end of July is realistic enough or whether I should plan a big event later in the year.

Kim

"isometric DVD".........do tell!
    Is that one that you have to put in the player by lowering very carefully, several times, against gravity?
    Seriously..........what have you ordered? What is it like?
    The race is long and in the end, it's only with yourself.......

I think the DVD's are designed for people who want to get fit but can't actually be bothered moving off the sofa! Basically you sit down and do various strengthening exercices with a rubber band which I thought would be good for strengthening my muscles and joints again. I won't be watching DVD's until I am out of plaster but hopefully it is similar to the types of exercises that the physio will give me and I will be more likely to stick to it if I am watching it off a DVD! I have an awful feeling they are going to be very basic..however, I bought them in desperation a couple of days after I broke my ankle

I had most of my right fibula removed in July for a bone-graft. I'm now able to run a couple of times a week with out too many problems. Most of the problems I've had have been to do with tendons/muscle that had to be detached from the bone and then clipped back. I did a road 10K on Saturday (Ravenstonedale) and got round pretty well so I'm quite chuffed! I've got to stay off the fells for another month or so because my ancle is still a bit unstable (I've got about 3 inches of bone left above the ankle, so I've got to be a bit careful.) I'm another one who's saying role on 2010!!

Interesting thread this. I broke my right fibula on Authur's seat on the 20th December last. I've been in a cast for three weeks and it's pretty much pain-free now. I'm frustrated at not even being able to leave the house on crutches given the snow and ice, but by wife and son are patiently putting up with me pacing up and down the flat to exercise the leg. Still can't manage without crutches. How much muscle wastage can I expect ? I'm already alarmed by the thinning over my upper leg as a result of non-use. Looking forward to Feb 1st when the cast comes off but nervous about what I'll face. Is cycling a good rehabilitation exercise ?

i am just about running again after breaking my ankle at the start of may. i never seemed to lose any strength in the ankle. i was able to get back in the gym pretty quick and soon built up to the weight i was doing prior to the weight before the break. the problem i had was purely the impact of running.i still need a few days recovery after each run before it is up to running again but i did manage a 6 mile run to work last week. the run back home was a bit sore but things are looking up.
    slow upfast down

Bernie,

Think patience is the key - all being well if you are as lucky as me you can expect to be running again at the end of February and getting back to where you were around the end of May. You might be surprised at how quickly you recover full walking ability - but take it easy on the recovery - the temptation is to overdo it.

In terms of muscle wastage I didn't seem too bad-but be prepared for a layer of skin falling off!

Good luck

Funnily enough it turns out I probably sprained my ankle on Arthurs Seat but broke fibula when out mountain biking a few days later! My plaster came off 3 weeks ago and to be honest I had read so many horror stories on the internet but it wasn't as bad as expected. My calf is thinner but again not as bad as expected...although I am still not running (and probably won't be for another 3 weeks) this is what I have been doing:

* when plaster was on - walked as much as I could (difficult to walk outside with ice etc so go to shopping centres every weekend - just try not to spend too much money :-)
    * went to the gym and used the rowing machine - stick one leg in strap and leave the other hanging out using your upper body only. I had never used the rowing machine before but it soon becomes addictive and you start trying to get better each time you go. Also upper body weights - people will think you are mad though. I went to the gym about twice a week which was enough.

My leg also felt really good inside the cast and felt like it was a waste of time but your ankle will be really stiff when the plaster comes off. I spent the first two weeks walking as much as I could. I was in the Lakes and did lots of low level walks, the snow was fine and walking off road was fine but obviously you have to be really careful on the ice.

Last week (so basically 2 weeks after plaster came off) I went to gym and started to use bike and rowing machine (with both legs and arms this time). At first I placed my heel on the pedal and didn't strap it in but last Friday I went to a spinning class and strapped in foot - I managed everything but didn't raise off seat. The following day I managed 60 minutes steady on the bike and then went for a 50 minute walk up Arthurs Seat.

I have been using the steam room alot too to do exercises and stretch muscles - physio is sending me to a lower limbs class this week to get me back running again!

Anyway sorry for the long e-mail but I know how frustrating it is when you are in a plaster. Best piece of advice I can give though is that everyones injuries are different and do as much as your ankle will let you. I have never felt so motivated to get back training and I was flying on the bike so in some ways I think the rest has been good for me. Good luck!

Kim