Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Fibula

Re: Broken Fibula

Thanks for the replies. I'm tentatively experimenting with putting full weight on the leg now, but the cast makes walking pretty tricky. I'm taking solace from the fact that other niggling injuries will get a chance to recover. Here's hoping that my enthusiasm for running will be redoubled when I get the chance!

I did a session at the gym yesterday with no pain in ankle and the usual pain at the top of my foot (where it meets my ankle/leg) also disappearred so I decided to go out for a run today...20 minutes!!! Very excited....I walked up Arthurs Seat and ran all the flat and downhill sections. It is so nice to be outside exercising in the fresh air again, I have missed it so much.

That sounds optimistic ! I'm hoping I heal as quickly. I managed to crutch down to Yellowcraigs beach today and the ankle and foot feel good. I had been getting some pain in the ligament but that also feels better. Only 10 days until the cast comes off and reveals the truth for better or worse !

It does take time and I am keeping positive that we will come back stronger from it. I managed a 2 hour road cycle today but still couldn't really push out of the pedals, going to try another short run tomorrow.

It sounds like your accident happened the day my plaster came off...we probably passed each other in the waiting room at the hospital :-) I must admit though even though my leg had felt great in the plaster, when it came off my ankle was very stiff and sore for a couple of days and couldn't put my foot down straight away as it was too sore. About 3 days later my limp disappeared and every day since then I notice small improvements.

Plaster off. Stiff and sore. Hohum. I suppose I must be patient. I can walk but very,very slowly. My 89 year old mother would beat me in a race today. Here's hoping the next couple of days bring some loosening off of the joint.

this last two weeks i have managed four runs between 5 and 8 miles with just a bit of soreness afterwards. it seems to be affected by the weather being a lot worse on cold days. the biggest problem i am facing now is the 3 stone in weight i've put on since may.running of road seems to be a lot better than running on the road with less impact there is less soreness afterwards
    slow upfast down

How is your ankle feeling now? I was the same when my plaster came off. I am running for an hour now and managed to put some reps into my run yesterday although legs stiff today! I have been averaging about 8mm although much quicker on the flat as I am still struggling to push up the hills although this is getting better...

Going back to running club on Thursday although it will be depressing when I have to drop back 2 groups...

Good to hear you are all making progress it is now 6 months since I broke my fibula and managed to do a half marathon PB yesterday - not quite back to the fitness I had before and not venturing onto the fells until after marathon in April but definitely getting there. I think the first steep descent will be a mental test more than anything else (I broke my fibula on a descent).

The first club interval session was a bit depressing watching people disapearing into the distance but fitness comes back - speed takes a bit longer.

Just keep at it and you will get there - if it hurts don't run - it will all soon be a distant memory.

Well I'm 2 weeks with the plaster off and still sore walking. Most of the pain seems to be from the ligament, but it changes each day and the mobility gets better.Still not close to running though. I'm hoping to get back on the bike this weekend. Funny thing is I find it all quite interesting and I think I'll just be delighted to get back to some light running. It sounds like you're both doing well. I'll post an update when I can do a decent length of run.

I managed my first fell race since July on Sunday (6 months since having most of my right fibula removed). Finished near the back and the terrain was hard going (Castleton Beacon - v. wet!) - still worried about going over on my ankle. I agree with the comment about getting speed back, and I also think my leg hurts more in cold weather. I'm planning on High Cup Nick next week if my leg is still feeling OK.