Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Arthroscopy

Re: Arthroscopy

You probably don't really want to hear about my arthroscopy experience. But since you asked...

I had an MRI scan on my ankle earlier this year which showed worn down cartilege and bone spurs (these grow as a result of the worn down cartilege). Had the arthroscopy mid-April when the bone spurs were removed & the cartilege 'tidied up'. The surgeon told me that once he got inside it was worse than the scan had revealed.

Ankle remained swollen & very sore for several weeks. Went back to surgeon at the end of July and he gave me a cortisone jab, which was to bring down the swelling & inflamation. This seemed to work. 5 days later I went for a short (1/2 mile) run. Felt ok. Repeated this 3 times over the next 6 days, and felt quite confident. Then we went on a family holiday to Cornwall and had several very long days walking around places like Eden Project, Lost Gardens of Heligan etc. This seemed to set me back somewhat. Swelling & pain returned, and I haven't run since.

Saw the consultant again last week & he prescribed me some anti-inflammatories (Arcoxia). These appear to be working as things are starting to settle down a little again.

So, it's been 6 months now, but I'm trying to remain positive and we'll see what the next few weeks bring.

Toreador,

I had an injury that sounds similar to yours a few years back. I damaged my knee at the Windgather race in Oct 2007 and suffered from pain and swelling when I ran on it after that. I was misdiagnosed by both GP and physio for a while but eventually got sent for an MRI scan by my GP which confirmed a torn meniscus. I had an arthroscopy in Jul 2008 which went well and I was walking well within a few weeks. I did my first race two months later which, in retrospect, was way too soon and I suspect slowed my recovery. I didn't run for a couple of months after that but did quite a bit of walking.

I started running again in Dec 2008 and built up to 2 or 3 hilly runs per week early in 2009. I managed a full year of running in 2009, doing most of the races I had done in previous years, but the knee still felt a bit troubled. This year has been a lot better and I now feel that the knee is as solid as it was pre-injury so it's taken around two years from operation to full recovery. I'm 51 so my recovery was doubtless slower than if I were younger.

HTH, Steve
    Hayfield Fell Races - https://www.t42.org.uk/hayfield/

Master

Thanks all. With careful choice of the reports I read I can start to feel quite optimistic ;-)

I'm only 47 so should be back to normal within a few days...
    Last edited by Toreador; 14-10-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: forgot how old I am!

Banned

13 month and I still get a burning pain if I do too much.
    Started training again but over the last 3 months I never run more than twice a week and a max of 10mile per week.

I believe Karl Gray is writing a piece for the Auturm Mag.
    He had his opp in November and won Holme Moss (English Champs) in July this year.

As with Stagger, my op was August 2009. If I run too often or too far (esp downhill) I get burning pain. Physio suggests this may be due to operation scarring inside the knee. Ran for couple of hours up and down Long Mynd yesterday and can feel discomfort today. Just glad that I can still run, but aware I need to be careful. Running fast downhill is definitely out I think. Just have to become really good at ascending!