Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rusland show

Re: Rusland show

Tom Gibbs went on to win the 1 mile track race later on in the afternoon and with his other results in the track events won him the athlete of the day trophy with the most points gained from the track events. Well done Tom:thumbup:

Well, that was interesting; i hate crossing the line knowing i've had a shit race, and also, in this case, crossing the line quite dehydrated. The bad decisions began by not drinking enough or taking enough water, followed by a Greggs sausage roll and a coffee in Newby Bridge, then choosing the wrong event.

Even after i'd recce'd i still couldn't understand where they were getting the 1000' from for this, there was no false summit over the first climb so maybe we drop down the other side. As the race progressed it quickly became apparent that the 'flat looking' fell loop was an up/down/up/down thrash along a series of stony shepherd's tracks, and the constant succession of uphills quickly took their toll.

I'd started fairly steadily as the start was into a strong headwind and i didn't want to blow up before i'd even got going; i pulled away from the first lady and felt sure i could chase down the vets race. Wrong...the Helm guy in front was putting time into me with every incline we crested, he was getting further and further away and the descents were small and useless. I was moving fairly well for a man with clogged lungs, but it didn't seem to be paying off. I took about 30s out of the guys in front of me on the last descent back to the road, but my race was run.

It was a good show with local exhibits/produce and a good hot sarnie tent and bar, i'll be back.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Crikey!

This was my first ever fell race at the tender age of 8 or 9 Might have been a bit older but do remember being put in a grouping with lads a year or two older, obviously a big thing at those ages.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back