Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: World Athletics Champs

FellMonster

Re: World Athletics Champs

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Just heard on five live that the women's 800m champion Semenya had 3 times the normal level of testosterone in her system. Apparently though this high amount is allowed by the IAAF.

So a woman can be taking so much testosterone as to look like a man, and still be negative! Now I know what Roy Scott meant when he mentioned setting the bar high on the Tour-De-France thread.
    We can hardly be surprised by Semenya's leaked testosterone result......just look at her / him

Master

Quote Originally Posted by crowhill View Post
    CL - A couple of questions:
    1. If everyone is cheating, why are 13 of the women's records in track and field events still from the 1980s when random drug testing did not exist? No one has got near to Marita Koch/Flo Jo/Kratochviliva? - isn't that proof that the drug testing is having a positive effect on discouraging drug cheats?

2. For 2 years now you've continued to accuse Bekele of cheating - where's your evidence?
    Yes I can answer that. Anabolic steroids build muscles and blood, epo just builds blood. Work the rest out yourself.

As to Bekele I've answered that enough times already.

It's like Parliament isn't it?

Why answer a straight question? Just refer them to an answer you gave in another thread in the past.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by biara View Post
    Interesting idea, but it wont happen.
    1) We are all different, hormone levels vary in each person, you and I (presumption, please accept apologies if wrong) are both male, but our testosterone levels are not the same. If yours are higher, are you taking something? I'd hazard a guess at NO!! Other hormones vary as well, that is why the limits are quite high (relatively speaking) so that a 'normal' person doesn't fall foul.
    2) Blood levels being public, wont happen as most of the population would not understand what they actually mean. Given a whole list of the components in blood, I wouldn't understand all of them, I'd have only a vague idea on some of them and I would say that science wise I'm not uneducated!!

Suggestion but probably wont occur is a universal database to show who got tested and when. Cyclists now have a 'passport' I believe showing relative levels such as red blood cell count, could these be publicised or does that affect persons human rights.

Why can't athletes have it logged that they passed a drug test, serachable so that say anyone knows Usain Bolt passed one on 1/5/09, 30/6/09, 4/7/09 etc?

One point of science is wouldn't the ability to remove carbon dioxide (waste product) be as important as gaining oxygen. Oxygen goes round attached to RBC but carbon dioxide goes out in the plasma!! How can this ability be checked. Just a thought!
    No we're different within a very small range. When athletes start showing 2 or 3 times the normal levels they should be kicked out. That isn't happening which is why athletics has no credibility.

If your argument was sound, the IAAF wouldn't have reduced the testosterone/epitestosterone ratio in recent years and we wouldn't be having an athlete tested for gender.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    It's like Parliament isn't it?

Why answer a straight question? Just refer them to an answer you gave in another thread in the past.
    Oh I forgot doping in athletics bothers you more than doping in cycling. How principled of you.

Yes I can answer that. Anabolic steroids build muscles and blood, epo just builds blood. Work the rest out yourself.

As to Bekele I've answered that enough times already.
    I'm probably being very naive here but I like to think that Bekele is simply the latest along the line of great Ethiopean distance runners starting with the great Abebe Bikila in early 60's thru Wolde, Yifter the shifter, and Gebresalasie(sp?) but it appears to CL's line of thinking that he's been cheating all the time

(Can you provide a link to your previous comments on Bekele please CL?)

FellMonster

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    I'm probably being very naive here but I like to think that Bekele is simply the latest along the line of great Ethiopean distance runners starting with the great Abebe Bikila in early 60's thru Wolde, Yifter the shifter, and Gebresalasie(sp?) but it appears to CL's line of thinking that he's been cheating all the time

I'd like to read these previous comments too...I'm curious

By all means make comments CL but please get your scientific facts correct!!
    1) Anabolic steroids do not directly build muscles and blood. They allow athletes to train harder and for longer, that allows more muscles to grow, hence the strength gains. If you take them and do no training, there is no change!! There are enough scientific articles on the net to give this info. (I checked them to confirm myself)
    2) EPO builds blood!!! EPO is produced naturally in the body by the kidney (and I believe the liver) it makes precursors that in the bone marrow generate red blood cells and stimulates platelet generation. So extra EPO added only alters this amount. Red blood cells account for approx 40-45% of the blood, it is the haematocrit count that is often given.

Hope this helps you....

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post

If you go to the old 'drug taking in sport' thread I give my reasons there.
    Last edited by CL; 25-08-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by biara View Post
    By all means make comments CL but please get your scientific facts correct!!
    1) Anabolic steroids do not directly build muscles and blood. They allow athletes to train harder and for longer, that allows more muscles to grow, hence the strength gains. If you take them and do no training, there is no change!! There are enough scientific articles on the net to give this info. (I checked them to confirm myself)
    2) EPO builds blood!!! EPO is produced naturally in the body by the kidney (and I believe the liver) it makes precursors that in the bone marrow generate red blood cells and stimulates platelet generation. So extra EPO added only alters this amount. Red blood cells account for approx 40-45% of the blood, it is the haematocrit count that is often given.

Hope this helps you....
    That's like saying a bricklayer didn't build the house, it was the bricks and mortar.

Hope that helps you. Somehow I doubt it.