Thread: Tonsillitis

Tonsillitis

What a weekend! After a great week of running last week I started with a tight throat on Friday night. Come Saturday lunchtime I felt that my legs had been kicked from under me and someone had rammed a tennis ball in my throat. Then the fever started - I was in bed in t-shirt, boxers, walking socks, full length pyjamas, dressing gown with a winter duvet and two blankets on and stil freezing. Then within a few minutes I'd be stripped off and baking hot - upto 39.5 at one point - then back again to freezing. I'm sure I was hallucinating at one point. Went to the docs this morning and he discouraged antibiotics as he said you have a vastly increased chance of recurrence if you take them. So, it's daytime tv, soup and ice cream and gargling with disprin. Any one else suffer? How long does it usually take you to get back running? Yours, in weakness, downsman.

Re: Tonsillitis

Smile Re: Tonsillitis

When I was a child I used to suffer from tonsillities regularly. It was rare to have one year without having high fever and antibiotics. At age 20, 13yr ago, I got them removed with an operation. Every docs agree that there are always many cons with any operation, but my case was so bad it seemed it was the best thing to do. And it was. I could not run for 1-month because feeling miserable due to the op and general anesthetic, but after that never ever got any problem.
    Good luck.