Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: :D Barefoot Running

Re: :D Barefoot Running

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    I can see the sense in barefoot running for therapeutic reasons - if it works of course. I slam down pretty heavily on my heels myself. I'd imagine there are some problems it would exacerbate on the other hand. I've got a cracking bunion on my left foot, & I use orthotic padding in my running shoes to reduce the amount the joint bends while I'm running. Running barefoot just sounds such a bad idea given this, but I'd be interested if I thought it might be of benefit. In the right fields of course...
    I used to wear orthotics but decided that anything that prevents my feet from moving naturally cannot be good! Wearing anything that stops your foot "bending" is bad. This is what feet are supposed to do, bend, twist, spread, finding the ground beneath them. A lot of the worries people have with going barefoot is the "fear" factor (ie glass, rock) and the fact that we are brainwashed into thinking that we "need" our feet to be controlled in special shoes! Try it and then decide for yourself.

Splatcher ,
    I guess it may not suit everybody . I don't even know if it suits me yet but I'm going to persist for a few weeks doing short slow runs in the field .

And yes Terry , I know my feet wil get used to the small stones in my field .

But !!! Bare foot Ted !!! Crazy Mo Fo !!!

I've also been following him for a while . One of the many reasons I'm trying this out . I'm not going that far though ! Not untill at least Wednesday

Banned

Your right, I was also very sceptical to the whole barefoot thing.
    I have to repeat my own experience.....

I have over the years had lots of different shoes, numerous injuries and several pairs of orthotics trying to right my knee, ahilles , IT Band and calf problems.
    It was a physio friend who suggested that it may well be the orthotics and heavily posted road shoes that could be causing the problems.

I read lots on barefoot running on the web and did my own research.
    So the first time I tried "barefooting" I jogged and hobbled, tip toed and winced for approx 50 metres. There wasnt a fantastic euphoria moment or anything but I can say that the pain I normally got when running wasnt there....Why was that?

I now use a new product that we have been developing it will give you the feel for barefoot while offering a degree of "underfoot protection".
    There will be some who will be able to run completely barefoot( Colin Valentine use to do fell races....Yes fell races in barefeet)
    But for others including me I will want varying levels of "underfoot protection" depending on the terrain.

I know if im on a rough rocky route I will need( until I get use to it) either a 2 cushion/underfoot protection shoe like our X-Talon, Mudclaw 330 or Mudroc.
    If I want to do a "Trail" run on paths, rocks, grass & road I will either use a 2 cushion ( F-Lite 285) or a 3 cushion ( Roclite 315, 295) If someone feels they still want a trail shoe with a bit more cushioning/underfoot protection there's a 4 in the Roclite 320.

So its a question of knowing that there are times you may want to go completely starkers( feet wise) and others you need a degree of protection.
    Our current cushioning levels are 2, 3 & 4 the product I am testing would be deemed a 0.
    The "ultimate Fellracer" would be a 1.

The thing to bear in mind is that it takes time to adjust to barefooting or "natural running.
    I think it was Terry Tortoise or Nikkalas who said "take your shoes off and stand on a bench and jump off" how do you land? Try landing on your heels and feel you teeth shake.
    Then jump off and land on the ball off your foot/toes. Feel the difference.
    Your muscles and the suspension system of your feet absorb the shock.
    Thats what "barefooting" is about using your feets muscles, tendons, ligaments naturally rather than encasing in stiff, unyeilding shoes that dont allow you to "feel" the ground.

I'm not advocating that everyone go from wearing shoes to barefoot in one swift move but there is a place for it, a place for "Natural Running"
    If you still not convinced try and get a copy of "Born to Run" by Chris McDougall chapter 24 is an eye opener.

The main thing is to enjoy your running, sceptical or not
    Last edited by Inov-8 Insider; 15-09-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inov-8 Insider View Post
    Your right, I was also very sceptical to the whole barefoot thing.
    I have to repeat my own experience.....

I have over the years had lots of different shoes, numerous injuries and several pairs of orthotics trying to right my knee, ahilles , IT Band and calf problems.
    It was a physio friend who suggested that it may well be the orthotics and heavily posted road shoes that could be causing the problems.

I read lots on barefoot running on the web and did my own research.
    So the first time I tried "barefooting" I jogged and hobbled, tip toed and winced for approx 50 metres. Now there wasnt a fantastic euphoria moment or anything but I can say that the pain I normally got when running wasnt there....Why was that?

I now use a new product that we have been developing it will give you the feel for barefoot while offering a degree of "underfoot protection".
    There will be some who will be able to run completely barefoot( Colin Valentine use to do fell races....Yes fell races in barefeet)
    But for others including me I will want varying levels of "underfoot protection" depending on the terrain.

I know if im on a rough rocky route I will need( until I get use to it) either a 2 cushion/underfoot protection shoe like our X-Talon, Mudclaw 330 or Mudroc.
    If I want to do a "Trail" run on paths, rocks, grass & road I will either use a 2 cushion ( F-Lite 285) or a 3 cushion ( Roclite 315, 295) If someone feels they still want a trail shoe with a bit more cushioning/underfoot protection theres a 4 in the Roclite 320.

So its a question of knowing that there are times you may want to go completely starkers( feet wise) and others you need a degree of protection.
    Our current cushioning levels are 2, 3 & 4 the product I am testing would be deemed a 0.
    The "ultimate Fellracer" would be a 1.

The thing to bear in mind is that it takes time to adjust to barefooting or "natural running.
    I think it was Terry Tortoise or Nikkalas who said "take your shoes off and stand on a bench and jump off" how do you land? Try landing on your heels and feel you teeth shake & then land on the ball/toes. Your muscles and the suspension system of your feet absorb the shock.

, I now run a couple of miles every day, very slow but concentrating on placing my feet and my posture.
    My road runs are done in F-lite 230( 2 cushion)which are very low profile shoes, very flexible.

I'm not advocating that everyone go from wearing shoes to barefoot in one swift move but there is a place for it.
    If you still not convinced try and get a copy of "Born to Run" by Chris McDougall chapter 24 is an eye opener.

The main thing is to enjoy your running, sceptical or not
    I don't need loads of different running shoes though. My Walshes are all I need

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I don't need loads of different running shoes though. My Walshes are all I need
    Good at least your sorted

Looking forward to seeing the "ultimate racer" or "0" your testing at the moment .
    Any chance of a sneak preview ? Probably not . Unless ,,,,do you need a hand testing ( give an inch they'll want a mile )

I'm wondering how my feet will cope in the winter when the ground starts getting cold . Should I go Vibram or shall I wait . How long till their out ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nightingale View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the "ultimate racer" or "0" your testing at the moment .
    Any chance of a sneak preview ? Probably not . Unless ,,,,do you need a hand testing ( give an inch they'll want a mile )

I'm wondering how my feet will cope in the winter when the ground starts getting cold . Should I go Vibram or shall I wait . How long till their out ?
    Were talking 2010 so a while off

In the meantime you could try some aqua shoes. I've found them useful during my barefoot running introduction and I'm thinking they'll get more use when the cold weather comes.
    They are essentially just a neoprene (I guess) upper, with a thin, flat rubber sole. No cushioning or support. I found mine in Tescos for £5. One word of caution though: I have found the limiting factor in the early days (especially running on road) is blisters or general soreness on the soles (aqua shoes or VFF obviously reduce this). Without getting sore feet it's easy to do too much distance and over-cook the calf muscles and achilles tendon.
    It does take a while but it gradually comes together. Last week, after about 2 months barefoot running (about 5% total weekly mileage), I ran just under 4 miles on the road with no blistering. The feet were a little sore, but they recover much quicker now. It'll be a while before I do Snowdon barefoot though!
    By the way, I do all my running now -- off and on road -- in an old pair of Terrocs (or Roclites if I need the grip). Putting on a pair of big-brand, anti-pronation clogs feels very odd now.

barefoot running experiment

Thanks Grayham ,

I'm going to break myself into this Gradually .

I wonder how much under floor heating for my field will be ?

Nah ,better get something for the winter .

I've been hoping that inov-8 would respond to the pendulum swing that is seeing people rejecting the sofa shoes, for shoes that allow the feet to work in the way they were designed.
    The f-lite 230 makes an excellent road shoe - I ran 10 marathons in 10 days in mine - and I'll be taking delivery of the 220PK in the next couple of days, which also looks like it'll be an excellent road shoe.
    I've been waiting for some indication that there was a 1 or 0 cushion shoe in development - as well as wider shoes for the platypus-footed amongst us.
    It's great to see that this has ALSO been taken on board.
    And the ground 'feel' of the lighter shoes is something I've always liked, so an even further pared down fell shoe is really something to look forward to!
    I run ...climb ....work a bit.....
    but mostly......
    buy kit