Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: :D Barefoot Running

Banned

Re: :D Barefoot Running

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    If you believed 'less was best' then you'd be out of business because everyone would be running bare foot. What you really believe in is making shoes with the precise amount of support and cushioning to get an athlete round his/her run without them getting injured.

If you'd like to hire me send me a PM.
    Why would we be out of business? As I said barefooting isnt for everyone.
    Most people will need a transition from built up shoes to going fully barefoot.
    We have believed in offering neutral, flexible shoes with varying levels of cushioning.
    Cushioning = underfoot protection
    A lot of injuries are caused by having built up shoes or high heel counters that bang or aggrevate the achilles.
    Last edited by Inov-8 Insider; 24-08-2009 at 03:10 PM.

I love this thread.
    The whole barefoot running natural hippy type thing makes me smile.
    For some people less is more,but these people have always and will always be super efficient runners,
    I have read many stories about the early marathon runners running in plimsoles and the legendary Bikila winning gold barefoot ,but come on,these people are not in the majority.
    I think we need to take a step back and not get taken in by all the hype.
    The fact is many thousands of runners are running today because of the improvement in modern running shoes.Yes i understand people still become injured ,I speak from experience here,but i am willing to bet they would have become injured even earlier running barefoot.
    To quote Tim Noakes from "The Lore of Running" "We do not understand why modern running shoes help protect against injury , but they do".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.E Knott View Post
    I love this thread.
    The whole barefoot running natural hippy type thing makes me smile.
    For some people less is more,but these people have always and will always be super efficient runners
    You sure?

HERE

HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Inov-8 Insider View Post
    You sure?

HERE

HERE
    Yet in this extract from his controversial new book, Christopher McDougall
    Yes i am sure Chris McDougall V Tim Noakes.
    No contest

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...#ixzz0P88bK1rd

Rather than arguing which is best try running barefoot!! I try and do about 1-2 miles a week and really like it, it does make you adjust how you run. I'm really looking forward to what inov8 are planning, I have been thinking about some five Fingers but been put off first by the looks and second by the price!!

WHat sort of sole will they have ? and any ETA on when they will be available?

Quote Originally Posted by Inov-8 Insider View Post
    From the moment you start going barefoot,you will change the way you run.
    I think your spot on with that. I think modern running shoes tend to make your technique lazy. I started doing a bit of barefoot running and it gave me aches in muscles i never knew i had
    Although it takes a while to get used to, i think i really helps make you aware of how you run, which can be transfered into running with shoes... i still use cushioned shoes with fairly big heels on roads/trail, but run completely differently now. Still have to think about it a bit though... and touch wood, it seems to be greatly helping ease my knee problems. I do think some people just naturally run this way though, it looks a lot smoother and seems to use the hamstrings and calves a lot more.. the usual places where runners suffer 'muscle imbalances'. blah. Still, i have never got on with Inov8's, especially the 315's.. too squishy, but then again, i'm probably too heavy

Chris

Banned

Unhappy Re: :D Barefoot Running

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Rather than arguing which is best try running barefoot!! I try and do about 1-2 miles a week and really like it, it does make you adjust how you run. I'm really looking forward to what inov8 are planning, I have been thinking about some five Fingers but been put off first by the looks and second by the price!!

WHat sort of sole will they have ? and any ETA on when they will be available?
    Your right, I was also very sceptical to the whole barefoot thing.
    I have over the years had lots of different shoes, numerous injuries and several pairs of orthotics trying to right my knee, ahilles , IT Band and calf problems.
    It was a physio friend who suggested that it may well be the orthotics and heavily posted road shoes that could be causing the problems.
    I read lots on barefoot running on the web.
    The thing to bear in mind is that it takes time to adjust to barefooting, I now run a couple of miles every day, very slow but concentrating on placing my feet and my posture.
    My road runs are done in F-lite 230 which are very low profile shoes.
    Fell runs are done in either X-Talon 212 minus the footbeds or Mudclaw 330.

I'm not advocating that everyone go from wearing shoes to barefoot in one swift move but there is a place for it.
    Try it you may be suprised.

We are looking at a few different options

I also use F-lite 230's for quite a bit of stuff they are great on road, and most rough stuff as longs as its not too muddy as they don't have a very aggressive grip. I've been thinking of getting some xtalons for autumn and winter.

As well as adopting barefoot running I've also been doing Chi Running, both have really changed the way I run and I feel much more "natural". I used to suffer from neck pains after about 1:30 hours but haven't had anything for ages even after >5 hour runs!

The only problem about barefoot is you do need a bit of protection, running on grass, tarmac and mud is great but chippings are a nightmare!

Inov8 insider posted a good article on this thread about how we need to "feel" the ground beneath our feet and how most modern shoes have far too much cushioning which isolates us from this. I also saw an article a while ago about how gymnasts got more injuries when they used thicker mats as they had to land harder to feel ground underneath them - seems very similar to having a more minimal shoe.

Waiting with anticipation as to what Inov8 are going to bring out, the Vibram Five Fingers caused quite a stir so there are enough people out there who would like to try something more natural - me included!

Attachment 2333

So this could be a reality then

I'm coming round to the idea . I've have achillies tendon problems for a while .
    Have got some orthotics and been given a programe of stretches and calf building exercises to do ( I pronate alot ) but am wondering why . Probably as some of you say , shoes that suport too much making my calfs become lazy . Hense the calf building exerises I have to do .

Friend of mine raving about this . He's got some Vibram five fingers( of which there is a long thread allready ) Just no good for grip .

I will probably have a go at something similar . I've got a pair of 230s that I bought last year . Didn't really suit me , but , I may try some short distances and change my style . More mid strike rather than heel strike . Not an easy task as I'm not a small bloke .

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

once i got used to barefoot running i found i was a lot more fluid in my movements.
    I stopped for winter a couple of years ago and have not returned but this thread has inspired me to go through it again.

before when i built up i did my speed sessions and felt more "involved",if that makes sense.
    i tried running through the woods too,which once used to twigs,mud and stones felt quite invigorating,that was about 3 miles but unsure if able to go much further.
    If the location's condutive would like to give it a go after a race as part of warm down.

P.S,notice there was an article on vibram 5fingers shoes in the times last sunday.