Page 59 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: :D Barefoot Running

Re: :D Barefoot Running

Whatever feels right, I don't really think about it that much to be honest. Once you start trying to overthink it you create an artificial stride anyway so just relax and let your feet,legs & brain decide what they prefer.

I do have a slight confession to make however, I haven't actually done any barefoot running since last year, but still using my Vibrams once a week or so depending on what sessions I'm doing. I must get out and do some actually now the weather has warmed up....

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    I may just order the luna kits, do you know how long it takes to come? I've only got another 2 weeks in the UK and we're off to live in France!
    You'd probably be pushing it to get them within 2 weeks. They're pretty quick given the low postage costs, but like anything coming from the US they can get delayed. I think Luna do offer a faster service if you're willing to pay more, but you might be as well to wait and have them sent to France.

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    a quick one,
    running down steep hills in the barefoot style...

I can quite happily run uphill, along flat ground is not an issue in the slightest.
    However, when I go down hill, I heel strike, the steeper the hill, the more the heel action...

so, do you barefooter-type-people still run at 90 degrees to the ground and somehow defy gravity in order to "forefoot strike" as you head down a slope (of varying degrees, up to and including nigh on sheer drops)
    or is there some secret that I have yet to discover?
    I can run downhill barefoot without any problems - I know this because I tried it a couple of days ago - but I find it really difficult to explain how. The thing is, when you're barefoot and running on the pavement, landing on your heels just isn't an option. Also, gravity tends to mean that if you're landing badly you'll feel it more than on the flat or uphill. I find that my feet just seem to sort themselves out and land in a way that's comfortable. I need to be barefoot for this to happen: it doesn't seem to work (for me, at least) if I'm wearing even very light shoes.

I must admit to still experimenting with descents, but find that if I do the old brakes off brains off style I end up pretty much mid-foot to a kind of full foot strike. If its mega steep I'll probably start on my heels a bit and then end up mid foot.

You can still bend your knees in a heel strike, and it is possible to heel strike under your centre of gravity. Like my Austrian ski instructor said... "Bendz zee kneeezz"

I've started a blog about minimal running stuff it's http://nearlyshoeless.wordpress.com/ and very much in it's infancy, but I've photoed and reviewed all of the minimaists shoes that I've tried so far. It might be of interest to some folk. Cheers for looking.

My club has been approached by a John Moores University student called Charlotte Apps who is doing a study in biomechanics and gait as part of an Msc in Biomechanics of gait and posture at Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU). Biomechanics is a growing area of sport science that applies mechanical principles so that structure and function of movement can be studied. She is looking for runners to participate in the project that compares the biomechanics of barefoot running to running in trainers. The project will involve a biomechanical comparison of and the findings could provide an insight into better techniques of running and advantages/disadvantages to being barefoot. The inclusion requirements are: that you regularly run 10km or more a week, are aged 18 to 55 and have been injury free for six months. Normal running trainers and shorts will be needed to be brought along. You would have to go along to Liverpool to be tested so may only apply to people in that area but I think it sounds interesting - I think she is looking for a broad spectrum of fully supported through minimalists to barefoot. I told Charlotte I would post on here to see if anybody is interested. She can be contacted on [email protected] or PM myself and I can pass on details.
    Thanks,
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    I've started a blog about minimal running stuff it's http://nearlyshoeless.wordpress.com/ and very much in it's infancy, but I've photoed and reviewed all of the minimaists shoes that I've tried so far. It might be of interest to some folk. Cheers for looking.
    looks interesting.

I bought a pair of Bare Grips in April and have used them several times a week for 1-2 hours at a time. I find them exhilarating to wear as they are so light. There is no problem descending quickly on rocky paths and the grip is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliveybaby View Post
    I bought a pair of Bare Grips in April and have used them several times a week for 1-2 hours at a time. I find them exhilarating to wear as they are so light. There is no problem descending quickly on rocky paths and the grip is amazing.
    I agree. I find the grip comparable to mudclaws. But there is a hole in the upper after just 2 or 3 races. I think too much has been given over to making them light or using wrong materials has compromised quality. Shame, because I love the feel of these shoes.

Hi Nigel,

I haven't raced in them just used them for training runs in the lakes and the Roaches. My previous Inov 8's did wear out on the upper so that may be to come.