Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869

Thread: :D Barefoot Running

Friend has just started a few weeks ago, runs in the Ochils so should be good terrain for it.

Mind you, he's a tight **** so it might not be case of finding a better way to run!
    pies

Any more interest in this topic? I've been running in bare feet all summer, up on the moors. I'm not very fast or good at hills, and there's the odd stony stretches I struggle on but basically it just feels nice underfoot. I'll admit the approaching winter may force me back into shoes for cold and grip reasons, but I'm going to give the ol' five fingers a try...

I often run 3-4 miles on a nice grasy track sometimes addding another 4 on tarmac when my feet are tough enough. i find i can run at a faster pace barefoot. And the ground underfoot feels nice.
    As you say tho stony sections not nice at all. I pop on a pair on NB with low drop(?) heels during those sections.
    I've never liked wearing anything on my feet - always found it uncomfortable. As i fellwalker i ditch the boots when i can and wear trainers.

I tend to walk in trainers, too. I have been using the five finger jobbies though, and they are the next best thing to bare feet.

I remember walking down to the beach in Mallorca without any shoes on. It was ok on the sand but the tarmac on the way there and back was very painful! I wonder what a scree slope would be like!

a 2 mile run barefoot on the beach in Portugal this summer gave me a plantar fascia injury that took 2 months to heal. and I am used to running in minimalist and zero drop shoes.

conversely, I found that walking and being on my feet much of the day (I have a standing desk) in smart work shoes didn't help the recovery, so I switched to wearing vivobarefoot shoes for the commute and some of the time in the office (as well as weekends) and my feet are very happy in them.

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    I remember walking down to the beach in Mallorca without any shoes on. It was ok on the sand but the tarmac on the way there and back was very painful! I wonder what a scree slope would be like!

I've tried zero drop shoes before but I find I can run faster with a bit of drop. No more than 4mm though which is what I've got now. I find 6mm is too much as it encourages heel striking.

Another couple of years on, is anyone running barefoot?

I ended up with Altra Lone Peak, just because of my weird feet and they were the best fit, but I have to say I like them a lot, very comfortable, nice and tight across the top and around the back portion of the foot so my feet don't move at all in the shoe, even when going down hill, loads of room the for forefoot to do whatever it wants to.

Love the comedy videos, so funny!! Especially 'Things Barefoot Runners Say'