Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: memory maps etc

memory maps etc

I am thinking of buying the software for one of these mapping thingies for computer. Anyone recommend one over another?

Re: memory maps etc

The problem is that most people will only have one product so cannot compare one against another. All i can say is that I have Anquet and am very happy with it.

I have only used Memory Map - which is quite expensive.
    It is good for route planning as it uses the OS maps that I use when out trying not get lost the 3D views are good to get some idea of ascent and the profile or the route planned is interesting, it will also tell you the ascent & descent, mileage and estimated time (probably using Naismiths rule).

I have downloaded to my PDA which with a GPS marks you position directly onto the map, only used it once but it's worth having as backup

Works with GPS's but I don't have one of them so cannot comment on how they work or on the upload feature which overlays the route you actually took back onto the map on the computer.

It is easy enough to use, being a bloke and working in IT - I still haven't read the instructions but have manged to work out everything so far!

Best bet I would think is to try demo's of each piece of software and see which one you get on with.

I "know" somebody who has 3 versions: Anquet (all UK @1:50,000 = Harveys Maps of various areas); Tracklogs (1:25,000 of Peak) and Memory Map (1:25,000 of all the National Parks).

Anquet is the easiest to use, well the early version anyway; Tracklogs is pretty basic, but does a fine job; Memory Map, again is fine, but has that 3-D fly thorugh-thing which I think is pretty useless.

All the data is basically the same so go for the cheapest.

I've got Tracklogs and Memory Map. I much prefer Tracklogs, but it's horses for courses. I'm not quite sure why Tracklogs is 'pretty basic'?

I think tracklogs is best value, followed closely by anquet.

Its worth trying out the free demos of anquet, memory map and tracklogs; and decide which one meets your needs.

Memory Map works brilliantly with GPS.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 301 which in general is useless for navigation - it doesn't recognise OS grid and the only "map" you get is a needle pointing to the next waypoint you've set.

But with Memory Map it comes into its own. You can plot the route on a proper OS 25K map, then when you're finished, upload the points
    to the watch and follow the needle (being careful not to plummet over cliffs of course).

When you get home, you can then upload your route back to the map and see exactly where you went.

One of those things that becomes indispensible once you've used it. Some will say it is being lazy, but for me it doesn't replace map and compass. I still need the map and compass with me on the run as the watch is so basic.

I'm sure the other packages work in the same way, but as clodhopper says, they're so expensive you can only buy one and stick with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winskill View Post
    I "know" somebody who has 3 versions: Anquet (all UK @1:50,000 = Harveys Maps of various areas); Tracklogs (1:25,000 of Peak) and Memory Map (1:25,000 of all the National Parks).

Anquet is the easiest to use, well the early version anyway; Tracklogs is pretty basic, but does a fine job; Memory Map, again is fine, but has that 3-D fly thorugh-thing which I think is pretty useless.

All the data is basically the same so go for the cheapest.
    I'd have to agrree with Phil

I've got MM and I really like it but I've seen other runners with TL and AQ and they all work. Try them out and see what you like the best. One big plus is the fact you don't have to keep buying new maps.

ian

Another satisfied Memory Map user here.

Many thanks people for your kind help. I feel a purchase coming on.