Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Junior champs 2010?

Re: Junior champs 2010?

From 2008 Ingleborough thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Must have been rubbish for the younger ones though
    So it doesn't matter that U8 - U14 races are virtually impossible to put on at this venue despite the best efforts of the organiser, provided U16/U18 have a good course?

The criteria for acceptable championship venues for all age groups have been discussed in other threads. Ideas need to be matched against them, not age group preferences, even if it results in a compromise. Fact of life when trying to make the championship work for everyone.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Master

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post

So it doesn't matter that U8 - U14 races are virtually impossible to put on at this venue despite the best efforts of the organiser, provided U16/U18 have a good course?

The criteria for acceptable championship venues for all age groups have been discussed in other threads. Ideas need to be matched against them, not age group preferences, even if it results in a compromise. Fact of life when trying to make the championship work for everyone.
    Actually i was saying which races I WOULD DO if i could choose. In the same way that AW is not very good for te u/12s. And Stacksteads, Shutlingsloe and many others have faults.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Master

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post

What about a 5 minute walk to the start

i have got to say that ingleborough was a very poor race, there were many people upset about this race as for the juniors it was more like a road race. To add to the upset there was no climbing what so ever in the race, and most runners wern't even challanged.

could i ask why stacksteads is a poor choice of race???

Master

Quote Originally Posted by just plod on! View Post
    i have got to say that ingleborough was a very poor race, there were many people upset about this race as for the juniors it was more like a road race. To add to the upset there was no climbing what so ever in the race, and most runners wern't even challanged.
    You obviously werent running fast enough if you werent challenged.
    Its about speed over rough rocky ground. And all this bs about it being dangerously narrow is nonsense.
    As for stacksteads it has its problems. the stile at the start was potentially race ruining, The rutted track just handicapped runners who couldnt get to the front row on the start line

i think you are wrong. A propper fell race should be steep with multiple hills in it. It should be mixed terrain so it gives you chances to go flat out and places where you might have to run with caution. However you are entitled to your opinion.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by just plod on! View Post
    i think you are wrong. A propper fell race should be steep with multiple hills in it. It should be mixed terrain so it gives you chances to go flat out and places where you might have to run with caution. However you are entitled to your opinion.
    There can be no definiton of a PROPER fell race.
    Il give a few examples

Grasmere Guides- 1 hill and its a classic others include Burnsall, Darwen, Stoodley Pike etc. 1 climb

Elidir Fawr, Ben Nevis, Snowdon-All pretty much one surface- rocky with a bit of road.

Races with multiple hills such as Moel Eilio or many of the lakeland ones are quite runnable so not steep by your definition.

The day we start saying which race is proper is the day fellrunning will go to the dogs.

If you look at me list there are short and steep races, long and runnable, long and steep and short and runnable.

Variety is the spice of life

I was at Ingleborough and I think it's clear that the Senior Race is a fantastic race - a typical classic up and down A category fell race that has a bit of everything for all runners.

Problem is that at 7m and 2000ft (and the first 800m is the main road), you would have to start the younger age groups a long way up to get them some proper climbing as most of the climb is on the road, or beyond Crina - which is a good 1.75miles up.
    That really renders Ingleborough useless for an FRA Champs.

Fair enough that athletes are picking where they would like the series to be at, but you also have to remember that as Juniors, most of you haven't been around that much - but of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I would imagine if you asked the U8/U10/U12, that they would put the Darwen Race up there as it had a really good fell section on there for the juniors, plus good climbing and descending.
    Perhaps the older age groups would have found it firm underfoot as much of the route is gravel track / road, hard worn paths.
    Although 99% of the feedback received was positive.

For 2010 if it was my choice as a coach and parent and a senior that wants to have a run as well (which I think was a shame at Ambleside)! I would go for

Anniversary Waltz
    Coiners
    Hutton Roof
    Stacksteads
    Darwen
    Viking Chase

and I would be looking to replace the ones that have done 3 years, AW and VC with Pendle and High Rigg.

Lecky and the team will continue to do a good job - the debate is useful - but give them your support.

Master

AW has few faults but id like a change. 3 years is too long. 2 years equals 1 age group