Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Junior champs 2010?

Re: Junior champs 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I was at Ingleborough and I think it's clear that the Senior Race is a fantastic race - a typical classic up and down A category fell race that has a bit of everything for all runners.

Problem is that at 7m and 2000ft (and the first 800m is the main road), you would have to start the younger age groups a long way up to get them some proper climbing as most of the climb is on the road, or beyond Crina - which is a good 1.75miles up.
    That really renders Ingleborough useless for an FRA Champs.

Fair enough that athletes are picking where they would like the series to be at, but you also have to remember that as Juniors, most of you haven't been around that much - but of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I would imagine if you asked the U8/U10/U12, that they would put the Darwen Race up there as it had a really good fell section on there for the juniors, plus good climbing and descending.
    Perhaps the older age groups would have found it firm underfoot as much of the route is gravel track / road, hard worn paths.
    Although 99% of the feedback received was positive.

For 2010 if it was my choice as a coach and parent and a senior that wants to have a run as well (which I think was a shame at Ambleside)! I would go for

Anniversary Waltz
    Coiners
    Hutton Roof
    Stacksteads
    Darwen
    Viking Chase

and I would be looking to replace the ones that have done 3 years, AW and VC with Pendle and High Rigg.

Lecky and the team will continue to do a good job - the debate is useful - but give them your support.
    i think ambleside was the best race of them all it was as said a real beast for fell runners and think it should be kept for 2 more years
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Master

I have heard from a reliable source Ambleside has been removed for next year
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    i think ambleside was the best race of them all it was as said a real beast for fell runners and think it should be kept for 2 more years
    It was the best for some Scott - but you are one of the older boys. But most Seniors would say that the climb of Wansfell is quite tough and the descent has quite a lot of hidden lurgies for the ankles.
    I don't think it was a race that was popular amongst the girls at all, and also quite a few of the lads.

In many respects it would be a shame to lose it, but numbers were down for the event (compared to previous race 4 last year) and I think it does help to have races that sit alongside a senior event.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    AW has few faults but id like a change. 3 years is too long. 2 years equals 1 age group
    If you ran the old Pendle from Barley as an U8 or U10, you'd be looking forward to going on the U12 coourse. Likewise if you were U12, you'd fancy running the U14.
    So to move isn't necessarily the right move to give variety.

You also have to give races organisers a chance to learn. Darwen wasn't my race this year - I just helped the Darwen Dashers to put it on.
    The time and effort put in to get the race off the ground is incredible.
    We had at least 5 pre-race meetings.
    Course design - and map production.
    Safety Assessment.
    Race Parking arrangement.
    Marshalls individual instructions.
    Awards
    Results service.
    Lancs Champs co-ordination.
    It goes on and on.

and at £2 a race with awards for in each age group and a lucky dip at the end of the funnel it's probably creating a loss for the organisers without the Senior race in attendance.

Just for the parking I had 3 meetings that drew a blank before I managed to get 2 companies that allowed us to use their company car parks, provided I set up appropriate signage and signed to absolve them of any responsibility for any damage to the parked vehicles.

Much of the work we have done (and other race organisers) can be carried over from year to year, reducing the workload by at least 50%.

That is why it is fair to give races a few years - unless there is a clear reason not too.

Master

Yeah but for u/18s that could be the same races 3 years on the trot. Same course, same opposition and it just dwindles enthuisiasm.
    Personally i love all the junior races. Never been disapointed just quite observant about possible improvements
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Also the u18's and u16's should run seperate. There gets far too many runners there like at AW. It was only a single track for part of it, therefore was hard to get past people. And then for AW if running the juniors on the road for 1mile is an issue, run them from the base fo the fell, it was done at darwen they set off higher up the course?

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    It was the best for some Scott - but you are one of the older boys. But most Seniors would say that the climb of Wansfell is quite tough and the descent has quite a lot of hidden lurgies for the ankles.
    I don't think it was a race that was popular amongst the girls at all, and also quite a few of the lads.

In many respects it would be a shame to lose it, but numbers were down for the event (compared to previous race 4 last year) and I think it does help to have races that sit alongside a senior event.
    im only 15 and being referred as old now
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    im only 15 and being referred as old now
    An U16 Scott so you've only one more age group to go in the FRA Juniors!

Almost a VET

Hmmm reading this i think alot of people are nit picking! Guys some of you are complaining about the track at the start of AW or stiles well get a faster start! your tellin me you didnt see the width of the track before the start and realise i may need push hard from the start? Also get used to it because may senior race starts are much worse! Remember theres never going to be a perfect course!
    Personally i found High Rigg and Sedbergh much better for all age cats than Pendle, Its has what seems a very long run out esp for younger runners, also not sure what course the 16/18 did, was it just to the top via the gradual main path? i think using the pendle race loop (i.e. climbing half way then dropping and using big end) would improve it, or was this the current course

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Yeah but for u/18s that could be the same races 3 years on the trot. Same course, same opposition and it just dwindles enthuisiasm.
    Personally i love all the junior races. Never been disapointed just quite observant about possible improvements
    So how many FRA Champs races have you run Tom?