Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yorkshire 3 peak challenge

Re: Yorkshire 3 peak challenge

if you want to do the race next April you will need a couple of qualifiers as per the 3peaks website. you only need to finish them.
    I did the full tour of Pendle as my first fell race at 51 yrs old 2 years ago as one of my qualifiers and then did the 3 peaks last year and this year.
    I was next to last in the tour of Pendle and will probably finish in the same place this year. it doesn't matter. just beat the cut offs and enjoy the event

Well done mate for the challenge! Some advice from myself would be to join a club and speak to people there and get their advice as well as from here. Joining a club also makes it easier to organise recces of different routes and races.

I can recommend a great club with a great fell running pedigree in the Bradford area.

PS See you on the Yorkshireman Half!

PPS I'll speak to you at work about it if you want

I echo Wombles suggestion about joining a club.

If you want to do it (if you REALLY want to do it) then you WILL do it - simple as...might not be next year but what the heck it runs every year.

Is it worth training for - OH yes - best race in the calendar IMHO

Go for it big fella - you'll love it!!!

You'll find the menage a trois easier to recce, involves slightly less up and down, doesn't require full body cover, and even given the variety of root options, you should be able to find your way without a compass. While the 3 Peaks is great fun, speaking from experience I recommend you prioritise that.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by trilathon View Post
    i think most people are capable of doing any challenge if they want to do it

also, if at all possible, losing a little weight makes things an awful lot easier interms of the punishment on the body, speed, recovery and endurance

best of luck
    I can vouch for that seeing as Merry having list a stone nearly caught me yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Divot View Post
    You'll find the menage a trois easier to recce, involves slightly less up and down, doesn't require full body cover, and even given the variety of root options, you should be able to find your way without a compass. While the 3 Peaks is great fun, speaking from experience I recommend you prioritise that.
    Yes my priority made be wrong with menage a trios or 3 peaks .The latter will get me fit for the former .Yes 3 peak challenge it is but reading from message it looks more 2011 will be my target .This is the three peaks .
    It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years

Hi Andrew,
    Get yourself over there...have a gentle jog/walk round to see how it goes....do some more training....then go back over and do it to your best ability....then you will know what you have to do before April.
    I did it last year, getting a place at the last minute...hence didn't do as much training as I would have liked...but I really wanted to TAKE PART in it...I went with the expectation of not being able to meet the cut off's....but I did it!
    Sometimes if your will is strong....it is mind over matter....give it a go...it is worth a try...one of my favourite routes!
    Good luck
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Foster View Post
    I have a bucket list and one them is Yorkshire Dale 3 peak challenge.

I set a target of April 2010 or 11, but I am going the former.

I am 6 foot 3ins and well built about 18and half stones so not design like kenyan to run but will not let this put me of . Also my age is now forty something just to give you some background .

I wondering is this a feasible challenge or this a pie in sky dream like me having a menage a trois (part of the bucket list !).

I know this is a really serious event and started laying down the foundation for this challenge by entering the Yorkshire half marathon 13 Sept 2009 .

I have heard for the three peak one as to reach the check point before certain times or if not one cannot complete .

I would like any advice or wisdom form past 3 peakers or any one with a similar build to mine who can give valuable advice and training tips or better still training partners .

Please don't say I should wake up and smell the coffee because I see this as my Bob Graham Round challenge .
    Hey Andrew you don't have to do the actual fell race to run the three peaks you know

Good point Stolly.

I turn 40 next year and plan to run the three peaks route for the first time on the day of my birthday. I'd never make the cut off times for the race, so am going to jog round on me own.

By the way, whats the quickest route between bottom of Pen y Ghent and Ribblehead??

Quote Originally Posted by Nelly View Post

By the way, whats the quickest route between bottom of Pen y Ghent and Ribblehead??
    With your back to the trig point, find Whernside on the far horizon (to the right of Park Fell) and aim for that. If its not a clear day ummm, aim a bit right of centre.... and keep your head above water in the boggy bits