Thread: OMM KAMLEIKA trousers

Super Moderator

Re: OMM KAMLEIKA trousers

Quote Originally Posted by Pudgy View Post
    Mine's XL DT, so not sure what size you'll need
    Not what I heard my dear Pudgemeister
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I understand that the difference in the new ones is that they are utilising a new material; there have been many reports that the old version started to act like a sponge in extremely wet conditions (which is probably the only time that you would actually where them running) such as in last year's OMM, therefore take in water and get heavy and don't dry out quickly.

The new fabric is supposed to be much better in this regard. If you look on the OMM forum, there were many that had them last year who were very disappointed with their performance.

Whether the £25 represents VFM depends on what you want them for I suppose.

I've had a set for 2 years now. Find them very comfy to run in and initially repel the water well. But once the water soaks in, yes, they are heavy and soggy; I reproofed mine which sorted them out for a while but they need doing again.
    I've yet to find anything that is 100% waterproof in serious weather (driving rain), other than a bin liner , so accept that all modern 'breathable' materials have their limits. I use the waterproofs to keep me windproofed and warm rather than dry in hard weather, so find these excellent as I can move well in them.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

So the expected mixed response! Thanks for the replies - and the link to a better offer! . I had read on other forums they got heavy when wet which had put me off slightly, but for many runs through the winter I might only be out for one or two hours so I'm guessing they'd do the job for that.
    I don't need the smock as I've only recently bought a montane lightweight waterproof which I'm very happy with .
    Run to live, live to run

Just in case anyone else is looking at the Likeys site - they might be doing 30% off, but they're starting from £100, and Up and Running are starting at £80 for their 20% off, so Up and Running are still £5 cheaper.
    Run to live, live to run

If this is worth anything if not too late: I had to buy waterproof trousers with taped seems for the OMM last year and did some research and ended up buying the Montane atomic DT pants... Mainly because they were long enough in the leg for me without being too large elsewhere (thin person with long legs)

My OMM partner wore his Kammleika pants and got wet as they saturated in the excessive rain and wind, my legs were dry and I was toasty warm... He had already replaced his not so waterproof smock with a Haglofs Oz smock.
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Interesting points there Hann, but there are so many contradictions about "waterproofs", everyone seems to have different experiences with them. I would say that when purchased 'as new' waterproofs tend to function well. But a few sessions (of sweat and crud) can render performance less than the manufacturers specifications. Maybe this is more relevant than the makes? I dunno.
    Missus has spent big £££s on waterproof walking jackets and found them, quite frankly, c**p. I am not convinced on the whole 'waterproof and breathable' materials front, especially for sweaty runners.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Well, I bought a pair of the OMM trousers from Accelerate (GREAT shop btw) and have since been running in very heavy rain wearing them and my Montane waterproof. I can report that after an hour my legs were bone dry, but my arms were wet...
    Run to live, live to run

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Interesting points there Hann, but there are so many contradictions about "waterproofs", everyone seems to have different experiences with them. I would say that when purchased 'as new' waterproofs tend to function well. But a few sessions (of sweat and crud) can render performance less than the manufacturers specifications. Maybe this is more relevant than the makes? I dunno.
    Missus has spent big £££s on waterproof walking jackets and found them, quite frankly, c**p. I am not convinced on the whole 'waterproof and breathable' materials front, especially for sweaty runners.
    The only proper waterproof jackets I have ever owned are my current ones: Haglofs Lim jacket and a Gore cycling jacket, both made out of Gore Paclite...

They are well worn and very well used in the last two horribly wet summers we have had and wash well. Never had to re-proof them... They do make one slightly sweatty though and there is that trunaround point where it is better to get slightly damp from a little rain than from being sweatty...

Sloth, it depends on the Montane jacket/trouser and which material it is made out of... I have one of those lightweight pertex smocks and they are only waterproof for something like an hour or so and certainly not in heavy wind. I use it as a windshirt... the pants I have are the atomic DT pants, which are proper waterproof and even on the bike don't seem to make my legs hot and sweatty, but keep them dry in the rain!
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

event fabric totally waterproof and the best breathability out there but you do have to wash regularly and steam iron for it to stay watrerproof.
    slow upfast down