Thread: No Country For Old Men !!

No Country For Old Men !!

Pete Simpson and myself completed a 55 mile – 14000 feet traverse of southern Snowdonia last Friday in a steady 20-55 hours. For those unlikely to take on formidable routes like the Merrionnydd Round it provides a more moderate foray into the area . Some may breathe a sigh of relief to hear that it will not be included in the Over The Hill Challenge Series afterall!!

Anyway here’s a brief report should anyone contemplate exploring the area PM me if you want summit times.

A late suggestion of a peak-bagging trip to Snowdonia somehow developed into the idea of adding another route to the Over The Hill Challenge series. Coming up with anything original is difficult these days so we opted to re-visit the scene of the Bala Challenge – a 24 hour circuit of 32 peaks covering many of the principal 2000 footers in the Arennigs, Arans and Berwyns which I completed about 20 years ago. This is mean, unforgiving country as anyone familiar with accounts of the Merionnydd Round or Leventon’s Line will know. Being much older (but not much wiser) we were really looking for something less testing! In keeping with the general OTH theme we eventually opted for stringing together a handful of significant peaks which would be do-able in daylight hours or thereabouts. A route linking the 5 Welsh Corbetts (2500 footers) in southern Snowdonia seemed to fit the bill very well. They were:

Cader Berwyn
    Arennig Fawr
    Aran Fawddy
    Glasgwm
    Cadair Idris

Finishing on Cadair Idris with views over the estuary seemed particularly attractive while the run across to the Arennigs would give some respite and contrast to the high rugged terrain as well as providing the opportunity for a couple of drink dumps. We added a secondary objective of including 8 additional/optional 2500 footers listed by Nuttall as being on or near the route. To keep the distance down we opted for starting at the car park at the waterfall and cafe at Pistyll Rhaeadr and finishing at the bottom of the pony path off Cadair Idris. To make things simple we decided to adopt the current trend and made it an on-sight, unsupported attempt (with drink drops).

Things went much as expected. We started late (6-40 am) due to a longer than anticipated drive to the start. The forecast of scattered showers for the morning turned into a 3 hour downpour but it brightened in the afternoon to give good visibility. Unfortunately it also meant we were going into an increasingly fresh south-westerly wind. We had an optimistic target of 16 hours but, predictably, darkness, fatigue, mist, a knee problem and the increasingly difficult, steep sometimes scrambly terrain made for slow-going from the Arans onwards. We ended up taking not far off as long as it took to do the Bala Challenge a couple of decades previously !!

Re: No Country For Old Men !!

That sounds an excellent route, most of my favourites included. Now if I can just get this old body working again .........
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

A very interesting route, probably not much easier than Leventon's Line.
    Berwyn to Arenig: Did you go through Bala?
    Arenig to Aran: Did you cross the A494 at Pont Rhyd - sarn?
    Glasgwm to Cadair Idris: Did you go over the Dyfi forest hills?
    What about the 8 extras?
    Yiannis

Full list of summits:

Bronwen Berwyn New Top Moel Sych
    Arenig Fawr South Top
    Aran Benylin Erw ddafad ddu Aran Fawddy
    Glasgwm
    Mynnyd Moel Cadair Idris Cyfrwy

These are all the 2500 footers en-route

We went via Bala but did the full Aran ridge via Llanuwchllyn. Then the cross country route from A470 to A487 ascending the fence - really slow going!
    Last edited by MOUNTAIN MAN; 25-08-2009 at 12:21 PM.

Arenig Fawr?? you must have been really keen to miss out those western Berwyn!!

Seriously, a great day out - well done, and I like the Corbetts concept.

I was vaguely wondering about S Scotland Corbetts but haven't dared look at it....
    Gone peakbagging