Thread: Cross Country Races?

Cross Country Races?

Hi guys.... I'm new to the forum and competitive running.

I've done a 10k before and that took me 45 mins. Other than that I've done the three peaks cyclo-cross and quite a few cyclo-cross races, but no other specific running races since school!!

My best cycling result was 1st U23 in the Three Peaks cyclo-cross when I was 18.

I am looking to get into running, but think I would prefer cross country or fell running. I believe the cross country season is about to start, so think that could be a good place to start?!

Help please? When is the next race? Where can I find details of up coming races? Any tips? Should I join a club? How much does it usually cost for membership and how much to race?

Any info is appreciated! I think i'm relatively fit at the moment and would like to start racing asap to start testing myself and improving.

Thanks in advance!!

Super Moderator

Re: Cross Country Races?

Welcome to the forum NW! Have a look at www.fellrunner.org.uk - loads of info plus fell race calendar there. Join the FRA; pros and cons with joining a club. Try a local race and ask around about clubs near you Don't bother with cross-country, fell running's better
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Cross country races are usually organised leagues put on by clubs that are members of the league, and you need to join a member club to run in the races.

Where do you live? Somebody on here will know the running club to join for your local cross country league.

Cross country as an intro to fell running? Debatable. Cross country races are usually designed for road runners and track athletes to stop them getting bored in the winter. Often flattish, multi-lap affairs. However they are good competition and good speed / strength training.

For fells, you really need to just enter some shorter fell races and build up from there - find out your current capabilities and base racing and training on them.

Good luck!
    Still "Afloat in the stone heavings of emptiness"

Fitness wise, you'll be fine and probably make fast improvements. I did my first cross-country last year and really enjoyed it. Much more closely fought battles than fell typically. There's loads of leagues, but pretty club-centric. Worth joining a club just for some free racing though. Fell - find a not-too long race, turn up and have a go, enjoy.

...just how hard is the 3 Peaks cx?

Some info on XC here, including race dates. Its usually much cheaper to enter all races in the series at the start, about 3 or 4 quid for the lot. If you enter individually you will pay a similar amount per race.
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Welcome to the forum NW! Have a look at www.fellrunner.org.uk - loads of info plus fell race calendar there. Join the FRA; pros and cons with joining a club. Try a local race and ask around about clubs near you Don't bother with cross-country, fell running's better
    When do the XC and the Fell seasons run typically?

I will only be around in the country until February 2010 before I aim to go travelling so would only really be training and racing until then.

I enjoyed fell running when I have been training for the three peaks before, and ideally would like to do that, but I assumed the fell running season would be during the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    Cross country races are usually organised leagues put on by clubs that are members of the league, and you need to join a member club to run in the races.

Where do you live? Somebody on here will know the running club to join for your local cross country league.

Cross country as an intro to fell running? Debatable. Cross country races are usually designed for road runners and track athletes to stop them getting bored in the winter. Often flattish, multi-lap affairs. However they are good competition and good speed / strength training.

For fells, you really need to just enter some shorter fell races and build up from there - find out your current capabilities and base racing and training on them.

Good luck!
    Like I say, I would prefer to do fell running, but just assumed (not sure why) that the fell season was during the summer.

I've had some guidance from someone over private message who suggests my local club, Horwich Harriers would be ideal. So I think I will give them a call today or tomorrow and see what the crack is.

Super Moderator

Fell 'season' starts Jan 1st and ends Dec 31 There's races every weekend and several evenings a week in the summer. Have a look at the on-line calendar, pick a race and have a run. And don't forget Swoop's rule - say hello to any forumites you meet!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by idler View Post
    Fitness wise, you'll be fine and probably make fast improvements. I did my first cross-country last year and really enjoyed it. Much more closely fought battles than fell typically. There's loads of leagues, but pretty club-centric. Worth joining a club just for some free racing though. Fell - find a not-too long race, turn up and have a go, enjoy.

...just how hard is the 3 Peaks cx?
    Pretty hard! I've done it three times now, 4hrs 31mins when I was 1st U18, then 4hrs 1min the following year when I was 1st U23, then 4hrs 14mins the year after when I was 3rd U23.

My aim prior to the peaks was always to be able to run for 2hours over hilly terrain and I always had a couple of sessions with my pal who was a fell runner. No matter how hard I trained and how fresh/fit I felt before the race, I ALWAYS died on the ascent of Pen-Y-Ghent (the last mountain). But you just have to grovel up there and then make it back down then it's all over. Tell you what though, there's always men in pieces on the way up there, so I know I'm not the only one!

still 3 Bofra short races left all accessible from the NW depending on where you live. As others have said most of us have club links and can give contacts for you to go and see for yourself especially for XC.