Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Ceiriog Canter' Fell Race

'Ceiriog Canter' Fell Race

For those who are always keen to try new races take a look at the details below for this new event in Glyn Ceiriog, Nr. Llangollen.

‘Ceiriog Canter’ Fell Race. Sat Oct 17th 2009 Start: 11am
    Start/Finish/Changing/Refreshments @ Canolfan Ceiriog Centre, Glyn Ceiriog Cat: CS
    Postal Entries - £4, £5 on the day from 10am

Prizes in all categories - come and discover this hidden valley by taking part in Glyn Ceiriog's first fell race.
    Further details from Joe 01691 718200
    [email protected]

Re: 'Ceiriog Canter' Fell Race

By the way for those who are wondering you are looking at around 5m/1300ft of ascent with the route taking in Y Foel and Vivod Mountain to the North of the village :-)

Ceiriog Canter - Pictures

Pictures of some of the runners are here:-

www.fellrunningpictures.co.uk

These are the pictures of the runners who came past me on the summit of Y Foel.

Al.

Thanks Al . Great shots as usual .

A nice race (depending on which route you took) taking in a variety of different landscape . The correct route through the gorse was a bit tough on the shins though , scratches all up me legs . At least it made it easy to see who had gone the right way at the end
    Last edited by nightingale; 18-10-2009 at 04:05 PM.

There's a reason why I wore the tights and not shorts!

Excellent day out despite one or two teething troubles - thanks to all involved in organising.

Jim

13 finishers ? Is that right ? Saturday race the reason ?

not strictly true....

I think there must have been about 60-70 runners on the day, but there were about 3 points on the course where you could have easily made a wrong turn (the top of the first climb where the road splits 4? ways, the right turn for the ascent to Y Foel, and on the decent). I guess most people missed one of them, and missed the photographer.

Fair play to the winner though - he must have run about 500m more than everyone else, and still was first home!

The race on the whole was well organised, and great location, be back next year for sure! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders rambler View Post
    13 finishers ? Is that right ? Saturday race the reason ?
    New race, so quite a small field (27 I think). I was 26th back and there was one behind me, so that seems to make sense.

Where did you get the number of finishers (13)? By counting the folks on the pictures? AFAIK, 14 missed the summit of Y Foel because one of the route mark signs had gone AWOL and thus didn't get photographed.

In the event most people ran similar distances and the quickest home followed the full route, so the organisers made a sensible decision to award prizes on the basis of the order everyone arrived at the finish in.

Those with GPS kit made the length of the race 6.4 miles, not the 5 advertised. I was a bit perplexed for a few minutes as to how I could have been even slower than usual, then pleasantly surprised when someone told me how far we'd actually gone.

On the subject of Saturday races, I quite like having some fixtures on a Sat because I tend to train every other day and I've got the choice of racing on a Saturday or a Sunday to fit in with the pattern.

Cheers all
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jtinnion View Post
    Those with GPS kit made the length of the race 6.4 miles, not the 5 advertised. I was a bit perplexed for a few minutes as to how I could have been even slower than usual, then pleasantly surprised when someone told me how far we'd actually gone.
    Yep, I was one of the ones who mistakenly skipped the summit (and gorse), instead running the longer track by the fence; my Garmin said 9.62km --almost exactly 6 miles.

It was a good race (my first fell race); many thanks to Joe for the excellent organisation.

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by batmonkey View Post
    Yep, I was one of the ones who mistakenly skipped the summit (and gorse), instead running the longer track by the fence; my Garmin said 9.62km --almost exactly 6 miles.

It was a good race (my first fell race); many thanks to Joe for the excellent organisation.

-Steve
    Batmonkey , I think it was you with the Vibrams on . You may be interested to have a look in the equipment section on the vibram five fingers thread .

Oh and , I think the route you and others took was actually shorter than the gorse route . The reason for the extra distance was we all went too far on the earlier top section where the marshal with the orange sheet was . We should have cut off right before then . I believe the marshals had different maps to the rest of us hense him being in , lets say , a misleading position .

Well done one your first fell . See you again .