Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peris Horseshoe - Pictures

Peris Horseshoe - Pictures

There are pictures from myself and Gwynfor now up on the site

www.fellrunningpictures.co.uk

Gwynfor and I have uploaded more pictures to the albums

Al.
    Last edited by altye; 08-09-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Re: Peris Horseshoe - Pictures

You got a mid-air shot of me - great!!!!! Thanks for the photos!

Bloody shattered after my virgin Peris. Boy oh boy did i balls up the line to PYP but loved the race all the same. Thanks to Mike Blake, Eryri et al for a corker.

ST
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 05-09-2009 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks for the photos and links Al .

Really well organized race . I think one of , if not , the hardest race I've done . And , I only did the half . I really enjoyed it though .
    Fair play to all that did the full . Amazing ....

I wish they gave out slate costers for the half though

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    You got a mid-air shot of me - great!!!!! Thanks for the photos!

Bloody shattered after my virgin Peris. Boy oh boy did i balls up the line to PYP but loved the race all the same. Thanks to Mike Blake, Eryri et al for a corker.

ST
    Agree ST wth comments re organisers and Marshalls. Thanks, It must have been very cold on those tops in the cloud with no views. What an absolute belter of a race. Why oh why don't these Welsh ones attract more interest from the wider fell-running community? (Though I realise that Ben Nevis clashed this year) I'll be downloading my pics onto the DPFR website next week so that you can all see what you are missing.

PS: Thanks also to Geoff B for guiding me down a largely rock-free line off Glydr Fawr down to Pen-y-Pass and the company up the Miners Track.
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller View Post
    PS: Thanks also to Geoff B for guiding me down a largely rock-free line off Glydr Fawr down to Pen-y-Pass and the company up the Miners Track.
    My pleasure - actually it's thanks to Iain R for describing the route down from Glyder Fawr.

You were climbing really well up LLiwedd - there was no way I could stick with you.

Really enjoyed my first Peris - hopefully I'll be fitter next year & do it proper justice.

Thanks to Mike & his many helpers.

I was really disappointed to have missed this years Peris but unfortunately i had to assist the time keepers at the athletics meeting at Eirias Park in Colwyn Bay.

Like the Ben Nevis race this annual track event clashed with my favorite fell race.

In a way i am glad i was unable to take part because the mist was certainly an issue and in the llyn y Cwn Glyder Fach area this would certainly have been an issue.

I would have done the short course as the full monty would have killed me as i donot have the required fitness to even contemplate a full Peris.

For those who have yet to attempt a Peris its one of those events that route recognition in inclement weather is vital especially over Yr Lliwedd.

I was talking to fellow Eryri member James McQueen who knows the course really well,there is no set route for the Peris especially after Pen Y Pass.

As long as you greet the marshalls on the check points especially on Lliwedd you can take any route you like.

I remember my first attempt over Lliwedd i saw no other runners most of who are local and know these mountains really well and know the fast route to take avoiding the steep climbs.

Unlike the 1000m race you are allowed really to take any route you like but naturally the first half over Elidir,Yr Garn and Glyder Fach limits your choice of route.

My first attempt was being totally unprepared for the severity of the course.

Ive completed six 1000s tired naturally but satisfied knowing i had completed a really hard day in the mountains.

I know the Peris course really well but nothing can really prepare you for your first attempt.

Its certainly the toughest one day event in Wales,harder than Man v Horse or the slightly longer 1000m.

It took me just under six hours to reach that gate opposite the Royal Vic and being mainly a road runner who has completed the last 13 Snowdon Marathons with a best time of 3-21 the Peris feels like a double Snowdon back to back.

That mug you receive is without doubt the hardest won trophy the average fell runner is likely to receive.

Unlike this years 1000m which was comprised mostly of totally unprepared first timers totally unused to severe weather especially over those notorious Carneddau the Peris is composed of hardened and experienced time served fell runners who know they are about to really test their physical endurance to the limit.

Ive now completed two Peris races but would love to do the full course again but i know it will almost kill me in the process but what an achievement when you finish it usually on the other side of being shattered.

Give it a go but this is one race that YOU have to train for before hand.

Its the kind of fell race that is beyond the comprehension of your average keep fit up for anything guy.

I live in Llandudno and i remember trying to drive home from that small car park next door to Electric mountain, i could just about operate the clutch pedals and was dizzy with tiredness but that mug was on the seat next to me and boy was i proud of it.
    Last edited by Llandudnoboy; 06-09-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

I was only doing it for the mug... unfortunately this years momento was a coaster - make up your own pun about coasters needing/finding mugs

Excellent event - well run by mike and his magnificent marshalls found all over north wales hills in windy ole conditions. Your efforts, water and mars bars were very appreciated even if I didn't talk much at the time!?!

Some lovely photos too. Quite a day with a lot of memories and a sore pair of legs.
    'Normal' people are the ones you don't know very well.

Us halfers didn't even get a coaster I'm obviously no mug

Only joking Mike . You all did a fantastic job .

I'm looking forward to next years event all ready . I'll train up for the full Peris . And if i don't get a mug or coaster next year I'll get my own made I may ingrave winner on it too .

Quote Originally Posted by nightingale View Post
    Thanks for the photos and links Al .

Really well organized race . I think one of , if not , the hardest race I've done . And , I only did the half . I really enjoyed it though .
    Fair play to all that did the full . Amazing ....

I wish they gave out slate costers for the half though
    Tell you what Nightingale, I am between houses and have no mugs - so you are welcome to have my coaster if your race diary ever coincides with mine. PM me with your forthcoming plans and if any inolve the Peak or the Lakes or Pendle on 21st Nov..........

For me I was just thrilled to have completed it and experienced the stunning scenery. That was the only memento that I needed.

For ID purposes I am No 123 (DPFR) on the race photos of the full: #26 and #27. (These were taken at the last CP after the last climb from a boggy ditch, hence the inability to say cheese)
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results

Thanks storyteller , thats a kind offer . I'm not really a trophy seeker and I couldn't take your well earnt coaster off you . I'll just have to try harder next year .

My legs will remind me of the run for at least 2 weeks , and then , there's the fantastic photos that Al , Pete and Gwynfor took .

As you say , the scenery round there is stunning . Reminds me of many a school holiday camping and climbing in llanberis pass .

I was number 76 U/A in the short race . Next one for me maybe Langdale horse shoe or (ashamed to admit it) Birmingham half marathon . I'm waiting for other people to make their minds up