Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Children's races

Chris

Children's races

Now the dust has settled on the Yorkshire Thug's time for a change thread I will point out that 70 kids turned out this evening at Liver Hill which I think is of much more relevance to anything and especially if you have an interest in the future of fell running as a sport.

undercover moderator

Re: Children's races

This isn't meant to sound arsey, but I don't think that children's races have anything to do with the future of fellrunning.

I suspect hardly any of us ran fell races as youngsters, and yet race organsisers are having to practically beat off entrants with a shitty stick.

That's not to say that children's races aren't a good thing. They are indeed fab.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Now the dust has settled on the Yorkshire Thug's time for a change thread I will point out that 70 kids turned out this evening at Liver Hill which I think is of much more relevance to anything and especially if you have an interest in the future of fell running as a sport.
    My son is showing an interest and he isn't 6 yet!!

Ilkley was his first fell race..........he loved it!

Both our lads ran as juniors in all sorts of races and loved it. Both, reaching the age of 15'ish, stopped - reason - seriously uncool!!

I still have the notion that because they ran they know how easy it is to start again!

I'm sure, at some time in the future, there will be two born again fell runners!

Chris

I don't really agree there, Mud. I think sports that attract kids to them do well. I don't think it is good that us middle age people to make up the backbone of fell running.

(By the way am I the only one who doesn't believe all many organisers beat off entrants with a shitty stick. Most race reports in the Fellrunner Magazine show pretty small fields and could sustain a fair few more runners.)

Master and MR

chris after watchin the news and listening to nowt but bloody bad news your story of 70 kids has brightened my night up
    i wonder how many of the little ones out of the 70 will still be fellrunning into there 40s though.

good idea for a poll methinks - what age did you start running? I was 12.
    'That's what you get when you suffer - you get results'

Quote Originally Posted by fellhell View Post
    good idea for a poll methinks - what age did you start running? I was 12.
    I was a spritely 45 when I started running. At Pennine we have junior races and regularly get 20 youngsters running - including my 7 year old daughter - they love it & it's fantastic to see them all so enthusiastic.

My 7 y.o. (soon to be 8) has just got his first pair of walshes. Didn't seem that good at kicking a ball around the living room in, but hopefully he will get them dirty this weekend. Trouble is all the U8 races are only 0.8 miles, and he's a bit like his dad, his doesn't get warmed up in that distance!

Banned

Despite rumours of "the family that plays together, stays together", many teenagers drop out of sport and other activities which have been encouraged by their parents at some stage.
    I think Fell Running could be particularly vulnerable as youngsters are totally dependant on parents/adults to transport them to races which are not always 'on the beaten track'.
    The sweaty, muddy results of some are hardly cool, let alone appealing to the opposite gender , often a relevant factor to some.
    Maybe when it becomes an Olympic event it will sustain more interest and kudos?
    However, I do agree with Brett. Like riding a bike, you never forget what, and how you did it and it is easier to start again.

How many serious fell runners follow in their Fathers' studmarks?

Perhaps there is potential for a few articles by GrahamB on the issues?