Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Children's races

Re: Children's races

Quote Originally Posted by Mad&Jerry View Post
    Hope this was a slip - the maximum distance for U8s is 0.5 miles (0.8 k)
    Apparently fell running comes under the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority (AALA)
    and the Adventure Activities Licensing Regulations 2004

Quote Originally Posted by AALA
    The Adventure Activities Licensing Authority is an independent, cross-departmental public authority, funded by the Department of Education and Skills, and operating under the written guidance of the Health and Safety Commission. In effect it is an independent watchdog on the delivery of outdoor adventure activities for young people.
    A license costs £620 but is not required for voluntary associations who organise events for their members.

I presume only children who are members of the FRA are allowed to participate in unlicensed fell races..
    Last edited by XRunner; 28-03-2007 at 02:43 PM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

XRunner - I think this is totally irrelevant in the context of the FRA organised activities, especially as I have never heard of it. But I will check it out.

My three teenagers all compete and train on the fells. Much keener on this than T&F.

Yes there is a big drop out in all sports in later teens, but totally agree with Brett that many will come back later in life. Also if we've helped them keep fit and enjoy themselves for a few years isn't that a good thing in itself.

The approach of folk such as Dave, Eileen, Shirley (Ilkley Harriers) and Bofra organsiers is a major reason for the enthusiasm with an emphasis on fun, whilst still helping the talented athletes develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad&Jerry View Post
    XRunner - I think this is totally irrelevant in the context of the FRA organised activities, especially as I have never heard of it. But I will check it out.
    Interesting to note that they have included fell running as one of the activities that requires licensing.

I am sure that at present this Government legislation does not apply to sporting Associations and Clubs.

I would expect that Sport England and UK:Athletics will be aware of this Regulation as part of their drive to improve health and safety in athletics.
    Last edited by XRunner; 29-03-2007 at 12:07 AM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Dave Woodheads races have led to many children finding the sport attractive to enter in and train for. Many others put great events on and all add flavour and atmosphere. Perhaps we can learn from McDonalds giving them presents and things that keep them coming back for more.
    How many runners were runners as children currently?
    We could of done a lot more to make the move from young adults racing and running out to seniors. Many are now doing it and no doubt we will see the benefits

Not me! Hated it.

Many might say I'm not a runner now

What did you hate?

Any form of running, football, or rugby.

Swimming, gym, squash, tennis - I enjoyed

but you can't do those at school! Well, not in my day

Chris

I did running as a child from age 11 onwards. I drifted out of it as a late teenager. I'm a little bit surprised that some of you people aren't a bit more positive towards the idea that participation by kids is the future of our sport but you all seem to have expressed a genuine view.

I am interested in the role that football plays in attracting kids, especially boys away from sports like ours. I don't think all is lost I think money and fame are poorer motivators than they are supposed to be.

Banned

Given the info that Madeleine posted re age and distance limits...how come a 13yr old girl was 1st under 14and 16 girl in the 1st of tonights Bunny Runs?
    Is this within the limits?