Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 min run. worth it or not?

Question 30 min run. worth it or not?

I seem to have got into something of a habit. Unless I've got at least 90 minutes spare, I won't bother to head for the hills. Consequently, I'm managing 2 to 3 runs a week, each lasting usually around the 2 to 4 hour mark.

However, sometimes I find I've got 30 to 40 mins spare and...PING...the Little Running Angel appears and says "Hey MD. Hows-about a short, fast speed training session or perhaps a few hill reps. Afterall, every minute running goes towards the running goody counter!"

So, I'm just about reaching for the Inov-8s when...DING...the Lard-arse Demon materialises and says "Naah! Total waste of time mate. You're gonna get ya self all messy and sweaty and maybe injured...FOR WHAT? Any road, it's a scientifically proven fact that running for less that 40 mins has no training effect what-so-ever. So put a brew on, sit-back and reach for the Digestives".

Who should I listen to? My Heavenly sister or Satanic bro?

Master

Re: 30 min run. worth it or no

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I seem to have got into something of a habit. Unless I've got at least 90 minutes spare, I won't bother to head for the hills. Consequently, I'm managing 2 to 3 runs a week, each lasting usually around the 2 to 4 hour mark.

However, sometimes I find I've got 30 to 40 mins spare and...PING...the Little Running Angel appears and says "Hey MD. Hows-about a short, fast speed training session or perhaps a few hill reps. Afterall, every minute running goes towards the running goody counter!"

So, I'm just about reaching for the Inov-8s when...DING...the Lard-arse Demon materialises and says "Naah! Total waste of time mate. You're gonna get ya self all messy and sweaty and maybe injured...FOR WHAT? Any road, it's a scientifically proven fact that running for less that 40 mins has no training effect what-so-ever. So put a brew on, sit-back and reach for the Digestives".

Do a really fast Road run. Helps you on the fell and keeps up your mileagen
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Cheers TT. So you think 30 mins has a positive training effect? Adding and not depleting?

Master

Cheers TT. So you think 30 mins has a positive training effect? Adding and not depleting?
    off course depends how fast you run as well.
    I can cover 5 miles in that time. Bearing in mind 5ks are beneficial and even less. It all depends on how hard you run
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Banned

Even if you only have 20/30 mins I would say go for a nice easy jog.
    Your just keeping your body ticking over.
    What you will find if ever your injured or have a long lay off and want to "come back" to running then you will be wishing you could just go for a jog.
    Enjoy, nice n easy.

david

Any road, it's a scientifically proven fact that running for less that 40 mins has no training effect what-so-ever.
    That's nonsense. Are you suggesting that someone who runs 40 minutes every day isn't going to be fitter than someone who doesn't run at all? 10 minutes warm up, 10 minutes eyeballs out, 10 minutes warm down.

Just to concur with Inov 8, as someone who hasn't run since the end of March I have just been out for the 2nd successive day for less than 30 mins steady jogging. My legs did ache on this 2nd day but as someone who adopted the same philosophy as yourself Mossdog up until a couple of years ago I am now convinced that a 20 minute blast is just as effective training wise compared to plodding for 90 minutes or so.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    That's nonsense. Are you suggesting that someone who runs 40 minutes every day isn't going to be fitter than someone who doesn't run at all? 10 minutes warm up, 10 minutes eyeballs out, 10 minutes warm down.
    Compared to someone who doesn't run at all - of course not! That's not the question. Any running/exercise is going to be a plus if that was the case. But is there any TRAINING effect from much shorter runs for someone who is a keen (ish) fell runner? I'd like to think there is and tell my Lazy Demon 'friend' to shove it. But he might retort "Hey Dude. You personally don't even get into your running stride until you've been at it for 30 to 40 minutes".

But I'm beginning to muster a counter argument thanks to the above advice. A short, fast run, pushing the heart/breathing rate towards the red zone can be beneficial seems to be the consensus so far. Or, as II suggested, a slower pace just to remind the legs whose the boss.

Banned

Compared to someone who doesn't run at all - of course not! That's not the question. Any running/exercise is going to be a plus if that was the case. But is there any TRAINING effect from much shorter runs for someone who is a keen (ish) fell runner? I'd like to think there is and tell my Lazy Demon 'friend' to shove it. But he might retort "Hey Dude. You personally don't even get into your running stride until you've been at it for 30 to 40 minutes".

But I'm beginning to muster a counter argument thanks to the above advice. A short, fast run, pushing the heart/breathing rate towards the red zone can be beneficial seems to be the consensus so far. Or, as II suggested, a slower pace just to remind the legs whose the boss.
    Or you could try a barefoot run. You definatly dont need to go for more than 15/30 mins at the start.....and the benifits are amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Manhar View Post
    Just to concur with Inov 8, as someone who hasn't run since the end of March I have just been out for the 2nd successive day for less than 30 mins steady jogging. My legs did ache on this 2nd day but as someone who adopted the same philosophy as yourself Mossdog up until a couple of years ago I am now convinced that a 20 minute blast is just as effective training wise compared to plodding for 90 minutes or so.
    Thanks for the advice/experience Manhar. Welcome back to the fells.