Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's new bike

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    A fixie that I finished assembling last weekend, mostly from bits that I'd had stashed in the loft; had to splash out on:- blasting & powder coating (£45), headset, 1/8" chainring, chain & sprocket, bottom bracket (shorter axle for correct chain alignment), rear wheel, tyres & tubes and bar tape.
    Ridden it for 35 miles - it rides and handles beautifully.

Attachment 8665
    Now has mudguards and gearing is up from 46x21 (59.1") to 46x20 (62.1") ..... a proper old skool, all year round training tool.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Bike to work ordered today, a foray back to my youth and a lovely mountain bike.

KTM Aera Comp, carbon frame, 2017 model. Lovely. Just got to wait for the voucher to come through to pick up.

40th present to myself!

Banned
    New bike to work scheme coming.
    I could do with some incentive. (A new bike)

So here is the wish list.

Titanium frame
    Di2 shifters
    Ultegra spec throughout
    Disc brakes
    52-36 front
    11-32 rear
    Mavic ksyrium elite wheels

Any suggestions welcomed please?

Raleigh Chopper?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    New bike to work scheme coming.
    I could do with some incentive. (A new bike)

So here is the wish list.

Titanium frame
    Di2 shifters
    Ultegra spec throughout
    Disc brakes
    52-36 front
    11-32 rear
    Mavic ksyrium elite wheels

Any suggestions welcomed please?
    Thought that you'd go for 50-34 at the front, for those South Pennine hills?
    50 x 11 is still plenty high enough for 'top' ..... 122.5+ inches.

Planet-X have some good offers on Mark Reilly built frames and various build options.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Banned
    Thanks Ian. In the less steep region at Leeds now. I will check the gearing again.
    Whats your feeling on titanium?

Super Moderator
    I always get excited when I see any titanium bicycle - top of the range for me. It’s just like seeing someone out in an old knackered pair of Walshies - “okay, they know what they’re doing”

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Thanks Ian. In the less steep region at Leeds now. I will check the gearing again.
    Whats your feeling on titanium?
    Titanium is THE material - especially if you have to buy your own bike - most of the 'wanna look like a TdF rider on carbon fibre' brigade overlook the fact that the pro team riders are handed a couple (or three) new bikes by the sponsor, every few races.
    Buy a good titanium frame and you'll be passing it on to one of your lads, in your will.
    My 'best' bike is a Planet-X Ti Sportive - one of the batch built for them by Lynskey in Chattanooga, Tennessee around 9 or 10 years ago .... the Lynskey family are long term proprietors of a titanium machining / fabrication business and are sub-contractors to the global aerospace industry.. They founded the Litespeed brand (which builds the 'Titanio' frames for DeRosa, as were supplied to Tony Romingers 'Gewiess Balun' team). They sold the brand to Merlin around 1999 but around 2004 Phil Lynskey decided to resume frame building under his own (sur)name. All his welders are young women and the welds are utterly beautiful.
    So, in all but name, I like to think that to all intents and purposes I'm riding a DeRosa Titanio. It has a full Ultegra 6700 (3x10) groupset.
    Don't know if he still has it, but when sponsored by Wheelbase, Rob Jebb had his own Litespeed titanium 'cross bike in addition to his team supplied aluminium Cannondales - there was a big article about it on one of the 'cross website.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/rob-jebbs-litespeed/

Have a look at Planet-X's "Tempest" gravel bike - looks a good all-rounder with disc brakes.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/...-bikes/Tempest

They would probably do you the Ultegra build for similar money to the "Force 22" build - just make an inquiry.

Then go for 2 sets of wheels and tyres - one for purely 'fast' road use, the other a tad stronger for on & off road 'gravel' use.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 28-05-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Ian, your a true gentleman.

I feel like a bit of a knob posting this after what Ian has just said about carbon bikes. As part of an attempt to save face i'd like to say i got outbid on a fabulous CT2 frame before this frame came up.

It's a lot more stable at speed than any of my other bikes. Something's different about the back end too, it feels more supple than steel. It's very willing to turn into corners, if you lean a bit it will basically steer for you.

Cost £1800 to build.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent